cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fruit salad? Molded?

This is probably a stupid question but it wouldn’t be my first nor my last! Are these beads considered fruit salad or just molded? They are textured on top and have a white swirl line running through them.  I went through a bunch of “fruit salad” pins and see that they are mostly leaf shaped so I guessing I’m wrong. Of course this one of those unsigned beauties so if anyone has thoughts on who it could be that would point me in a direction to research. (Most of the beads have old glue build up but two do not and look brighter as a result) 

30D9CF90-3D93-43FC-B87D-F97605EB0770.jpeg1AEDD82E-E915-4468-A60D-19CDF8B1A1BB.jpegF52D9FE3-651F-4A58-B570-92D5839F416C.jpeg

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Fruit salad? Molded?

Wow, those are really interesting and unusual stones!  I'd call them molded glass or specialty stones rather than fruit salad.  Let's see what others say.  Great brooch!

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Fruit salad? Molded?

Dream, I think they’re plastic, I sometimes I find it hard to determine. They are kind of different. I wish I was handy...I’d pop those beads out and get rid of the glue. I think this would clean up really well. (But I’m not handy, lol) 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Fruit salad? Molded?

Interesting stones.  First look, I thought  of glass.

Be nice to determine whether glass or acrylic..can ya do the tooth test?  Or try tapping them on the rim of a glass (do both these & something you know for sure is plastic to see if a difference in sound)  Worth a shot...pretty & unusual as they are I`d think would bring a better price if glass

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Fruit salad? Molded?

I would call these molded as well.  The difference between glass and acrylic can determine the value of a piece, so it would be beneficial to know what these stones are made of.  Based on the unfoiled backs of the stones, I would think they are acrylic.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Fruit salad? Molded?

OTOH it looks like a pot metal brooch and the baguettes are glass.  They look like acrylic but at that age may well be glass.  So...dunno.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Fruit salad? Molded?

Not sure if those are glass. To me, what makes them look like plastic is the fineness of the color swirls.

My test for glass is the temp test. Glass being cold, plastic not so much.

Anywho, I went to google. I found an image of a solid colored green stone the same shape as yours. The image was the one attached to Leaves page at Mr Stones. I learned not so much as there was no item that shape currently for sale.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Fruit salad? Molded?

p.s. A long time back on the old Boards there was a post that indicated plastic stones were used during WW2 because access to fancy glass stones from Europe were cut off. I sort of get a 40s vibe from this brooch.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Fruit salad? Molded?

I tried 1940’s suggestion to tap against a glass vs known plastic and glass stones. More of a “tink” than a “thud” but can’t say I’m 100% certain so will just list as molded stones and say I’m unsure if glass or acrylic. The temperature test wasn’t definitive for me either. But...as usual I have gained knowledge from you fabulous folks! Thank you!

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Fruit salad? Molded?

I know you tried it already, but here is how I do the temperature test to see whether glass or plastic when I have a question.

I find two other brooches, bracelets whatever where I KNOW they are glass or plastic and use them as comparison pieces .   Get your brooch ready to compare.

I think it might work better if the pieces are in sort of a cooler environment, if you have a basement that is cooler, etc.  leave them down there several hours first.   Glass will get cold, plastic not as much, but it is sort of a subtle difference.  Compare those two where you already know what they are, by putting the stone in question on your cheek.   Your cheek will be more sensitive to the temperature difference.   If you have the comparison pieces handy you will at least know what the difference might feel like.  Then get your brooch and see what is the closer match.

I suppose you could do the same experiment (gently) taping the comparison pieces onto glass to see if tink or thud, just to hear the difference, then try your piece again.

What might be making this hard is that the stones in question probably don't have huge surface area because of the carved nature.

I can usually tell glass/plastic immediately, but once in a while I run across a piece that is hard to detect.

It's a fun piece!  Best of luck!

An estate sale is my natural habitat...

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Fruit salad? Molded?

Thanks Lucille, I’ll give it another go!!

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Fruit salad? Molded?

Tap them on your front teeth, you will feel the difference!

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Fruit salad? Molded?

Ummm... my teeth are plastic unfortunately, lol. Everything “clunks” on them! But thank you for the idea. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply