cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Eye Candy Wednesday of Summer

Post some if you've got some!  Keep the images smaller to speed loading, and as always nothing from a live auction.

The bracelets were vintage gold-filled, and one of the last things I sold on eBay. The earrings were a mistake - paid too much, but a buyer was happy to get them.  Sterling Mexican clip-ons.  The ring is something I found in a yard sale that went straight into my hoard.  Another shopper, we know each other, put it back because she thought it was gold-filled.  nope - 14k, but with just a manufacturer's mark and no gold mark.  The bezel was either made for this garnet or something else that fit into that spot, maybe even custom.  The stone is black unless you look at the chipped area in the right light; I have a hunch it was polished a but but otherwise left the way they cut it off the matrix. It might even be Connecticut garnet; we find them here but only in specimen grade.  

gold fill lotgold fill lotMexican traditionalMexican traditional

Garnet and 14k...MINEMINEMINEGarnet and 14k...MINEMINEMINE

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

There you are!  I was about to send out search and rescue 😂!  I suppose even the "Wednesday Eye Candy" lady needs time off every now and then.  Thanks as always for doing this thread.

This is an interesting piece that came in a large box of turquoise.  I posted it on the Turquoise People site, but they couldn't help me, so it will remain an interesting piece:

eagleheadnecklace1.JPG

eagleheadnecklace2.JPG

Recent purchase.   Victorian sterling Halley's Comet brooch with huge paste stone:

halleyscomet1.jpg

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Loving that ring, Ruth! Score.

Amy, that is indeed an interesting piece. Never seen anything like that before. 

I bought this brooch recently at a thrifty.

Unmarked, it was sold as costume jewelry which doesn't surprise me because  Pell makes an adorable brooch that looks very similar. 

But the settings, findings, construction and weight screamed "check me closely"

Which I did when I got it home. 

I4k with little rubies.  

20230526_174800.jpg

I bought this turquoise and shell heishi necklace at the same time,  not having a clue what I was buying other than the colour of the heishi beads is so calming. 

The silver ends are marked and I found the makers ... a couple called Marvin and Lillie Lovato of the Santo Domingo tribe who apparently hand carve the heishi necklaces themselves.  Imagine the amount of time this must take.  I will treasure this. 

heishi.jpg

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Wow, arlene!  You sure had the golden eye on those birdies!  I really like the heishi beads, too!  Glad to see you posting again!

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Thanks, Eve for starting the thread.  Love the earrings. 

Dream, that necklace is very intriguing.  I looks as though it was carved from either a tooth or even a claw.  I love it!

Arlene, hi, missed not seeing you around for a while.  Congrats on the pin.  I love it when that happens!

As I said in a few postings, I haven't really been doing a lot of shopping in my travels, at least not for jewelry.  The jewelry that I have seen is really high priced and the actual vintage pieces are really high priced, when you can find them.  I did however find these two unsigned pieces while in Houston I couldn't pass up.  Not sure how or what these are made of ... enamel for sure, the wings are transparent film, I think, of some kind.

UB4763.jpgUB4764.jpg

I found this pin here in Louisiana. 

SB5025 (1).jpg

It's signed Iguala - BA - Sterling - Mexico

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Sandy, that's some kind of carved bone that measures a little over 2" long!  I like your bees and Mexican silver!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

The eagle necklace looks like bone, horn, brass and...?  I'd bet that the eagle is native-carved, but the beads look imported.  Maybe that's what's going on. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

That 14k birdy brooch is lovely.  Ruby anything is lovely.

Too much time on my hands.... my biggest costume jewelry find at an outdoor church sale last summer.  I saw the saphirets in the sunshine.  It was tagged $79, but she let it go for $65....I had forgotten my purse that day, but had money in the car.  

HC 1.jpgHC2.jpgHC4.jpgHC3.jpg

Tomorrow's another day.Tomorrow's another day.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Gorgeous!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Hey markowitz!  Long time no see!  That necklace was a beautiful score!  Love it when you find them in the wild 😁.  Hope to see more of your finds!

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Nice one!

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Thank you!  I have to post some more next Eye Candy Wednesday.

Tomorrow's another day.Tomorrow's another day.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply