cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email from Ebay regarding new authentication rules for jewelry over $500.

Just got this today. Cutting and pasting.  Not sure if the links will work after cutting and pasting, but I'm sure can be found somewhere on Ebay.

"Dear lucille.b,

As we create the premier marketplace for buyers and sellers of luxury items, we’re excited to announce the extension of Authenticity Guarantee to the jewelry category.  Millions of buyers already shop for jewelry on eBay and new investments in the category will deliver better experiences and improved conversion. 

Starting July 20, 2022, Authenticity Guarantee, our authentication service for luxury items, will begin to cover inventory from eBay sellers who list items that sell for $500 or more in the Fine Jewelry and Engagement and Wedding Jewelry categories. We will be increasing our coverage of listings throughout the summer and fall and we’ll notify you when Authenticity Guarantee applies to your inventory. 

Along with the extension of Authenticity Guarantee to jewelry, we’ll also be investing in marketing to drive traffic and new buyers, and improvements to the jewelry buying experience on our platform. 

To help fulfill our commitment to the jewelry category, final value fees* will increase for most sellers effective September 12, 2022. Learn how the final value fee changes in the Jewelry category may impact your business."

Am I reading this correctly that sellers need to mail any $500+ value sold jewelry items to Ebay for authentication?  What could go wrong? 

In fairness I don't have too many pieces selling in this price range, but curious how this policy is going to work.  It specifically says, "items that sell for $500 or more in the fine jewelry category."  So if you list something at $100, and it exceeds $500, now you need to first send the item to Ebay to get authenticated??   I'd be worried about lost or mixed up inventory and possible other errors.  Where are they going to get all these jewelry appraisers from??  Many questions.

An estate sale is my natural habitat...

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Email from Ebay regarding new authentication rules for jewelry over $500.

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 31 of 31
latest reply