cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deck The Halls December CHAT!

Ho Ho Ho!!   santa-dance.gif 

It`s that special time of year again!  Time for family & friends & lots of hustle & bustle of the holidays. But don`t forget to take a few minutes to drop in here for a breather & have a cup of nog or some warm spiced cider!

December.jpg

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 1 of 196
latest reply
195 REPLIES 195

I feel like if I blink.......BAM!!!! It's 2016. Time is sure flying by. Had to curse out Wally World's computer repair department. I felt bad because of the lady was so nice but day nabbit, they are really messing me up. I hate using the phone for everything. I felt like a needed a nitro patch afterwards. Geez 😡😖😡😖😡😖
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 196
latest reply

It's so hard to believe that 2016 is just around the corner.  My wish for you all.

ha

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 3 of 196
latest reply

Thanks for starting the December chat!

wreath.png 

Message 4 of 196
latest reply

Afternoon, thanks for the awesome chat :

merry-christmas-.jpg

Not "lots" of snowflakes...................................

You can't fix crazy but you sure can document it.
Message 5 of 196
latest reply

Dear Fredie.  I just couldn't help but think about you when I read this.  I know it is kind of long, but worth the read.

Why we shoot deer in the wild:
(A letter from someone who wants to remain anonymous, who farms, writes well and actually tried this)

I had this idea that I could rope a deer, put it in a stall, feed it up on corn for a couple of weeks, then kill it and eat it. The first step in this adventure was getting a deer. I figured that, since they congregate at my cattle feeder and do not seem to have much fear of me when we are there (a bold one will sometimes come right up and sniff at the bags of feed while I am in the back of the truck not 4 feet away), it should not be difficult to rope one, get up to it and toss a bag over its head (to calm it down) then hog tie it and transport it home.

I filled the cattle feeder then hid down at the end with my rope. The cattle, having seen the roping thing before, stayed well back. They were not having any of it. After about 20 minutes, my deer showed up-- 3 of them. I picked out a likely looking one, stepped out from the end of the feeder, and threw my rope. The deer just stood there and stared at me. I wrapped the rope around my waist and twisted the end so I would have a good hold.

The deer still just stood and stared at me, but you could tell it was mildly concerned about the whole rope situation. I took a step towards it, it took a step away. I put a little tension on the rope, and then received an education. The first thing that I learned is that, while a deer may just stand there looking at you funny while you rope it, they are spurred to action when you start pulling on that rope.

That deer EXPLODED. The second thing I learned is that pound for pound, a deer is a LOT stronger than a cow or a colt. A cow or a colt in that weight range I could fight down with a rope and with some dignity. A deer-- no Chance. That thing ran and bucked and twisted and pulled. There was no controlling it and certainly no getting close to it. As it jerked me off my feet and started dragging me across the ground, it occurred to me that having a deer on a rope was not nearly as good an idea as I had originally imagined. The only upside is that they do not have as much stamina as many other animals.

A brief 10 minutes later, it was tired and not nearly as quick to jerk me off my feet and drag me when I managed to get up. It took me a few minutes to realize this, since I was mostly blinded by the blood flowing out of the big gash in my head. At that point, I had lost my taste for corn-fed venison. I just wanted to get that devil creature off the end of that rope.

I figured if I just let it go with the rope hanging around its neck, it would likely die slow and painfully somewhere. At the time, there was no love at all between me and that deer. At that moment, I hated the thing, and I would venture a guess that the feeling was mutual. Despite the gash in my head and the several large knots where I had cleverly arrested the deer's momentum by bracing my head against various large rocks as it dragged me across the ground, I could still think clearly enough to recognize that there was a small chance that I shared some tiny amount of responsibility for the situation we were in. I didn't want the deer to have to suffer a slow death, so I managed to get it lined back up in between my truck and the feeder - a little trap I had set before hand...kind of like a squeeze chute. I got it to back in there and I started moving up so I could get my rope back.

Did you know that deer bite? They do! I never in a million years would have thought that a deer would bite somebody, so I was very surprised when ..... I reached up there to grab that rope and the deer grabbed hold of my wrist. Now, when a deer bites you, it is not like being bit by a horse where they just bite you and slide off to then let go. A deer bites you and shakes its head--almost like a pit bull. They bite HARD and it hurts.

The proper thing to do when a deer bites you is probably to freeze and draw back slowly. I tried screaming and shaking instead. My method was ineffective.

It seems like the deer was biting and shaking for several minutes, but it was likely only several seconds. I, being smarter than a deer (though you may be questioning that claim by now), tricked it. While I kept it busy tearing the tendons out of my right arm, I reached up with my left hand and pulled that rope loose.

That was when I got my final lesson in deer behavior for the day.

Deer will strike at you with their front feet. They rear right up on their back feet and strike right about head and shoulder level, and their hooves are surprisingly sharp... I learned a long time ago that, when an animal -like a horse --strikes at you with their hooves and you can't get away easily, the best thing to do is try to make a loud noise and make an aggressive move towards the animal. This will usually cause them to back down a bit so you can escape.

This was not a horse. This was a deer, so obviously, such trickery would not work. In the course of a millisecond, I devised a different strategy. I screamed like a woman and tried to turn and run. The reason I had always been told NOT to try to turn and run from a horse that paws at you is that there is a good chance that it will hit you in the back of the head. Deer may not be so different from horses after all, besides being twice as strong and 3 times as evil, because the second I turned to run, it hit me right in the back of the head and knocked me down.

Now, when a deer paws at you and knocks you down, it does not immediately leave. I suspect it does not recognize that the danger has passed. What they do instead is paw your back and jump up and down on you while you are laying there crying like a little girl and covering your head.

I finally managed to crawl under the truck and the deer went away. So now I know why when people go deer hunting they bring a rifle with a scope......to sort of even the odds!!

All these events are true so help me God...An Educated Farmer

Now if you will excuse me, I need to go change my panties.  All that laughing at my age has it's consequences.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 6 of 196
latest reply

Oh my! I chuckled so hard it hurt Great find flipping t!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 7 of 196
latest reply

Too Funny, Sandy!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 196
latest reply

I have read that before, it was funny then and it's still funny now!!! Love it! Thank you for sharing! 🙂

Deer also make a god awful noise when caught in mud in a pond...and they do not take kindly to you trying to help them out of it! Clark and I were on the four wheeler on his farm and came upon a deer stuck in the mud in the pond. So we thought we'd help it out of the mud. They scream...loudly...and it's just a god awful scream! 

They sure are tastey tho! LOL

Happy December everyone! Cold and icky here...was snowing, but nothing stuck and now it's raining a bit. Still fairly warm at 45°, and so no freezing rain. I'd rather have feet of snow, then 1/4 of an inch of freezing rain! LOL Snow at least has traction! There's no traction on ice!

I woke up at about 4 this morning, with my right hand twisted up under me...throbbing from the pain. It was awful. An alieve is not kicking this pain...at all. Then when I had drifted back to sleep I dreamed someone had overdrawn all of my banking accounts...and so THAT woke me up and I was freaked out, till I realized that no that didn't really happen, but every time after that i went to drift off I'd bolt awak thinking all my bank accounts were overdrawn. I HATE dreams like that! Ugh. I have two or three of those kinds of dreams a year. When it's so real I'm really sure it's happening. The last one I had like that I dreamed hubby had died...I scared the **bleep** out of him when I woke him up, bawling and patting him all over. Poor dude. I just kept saying you died, you died. He kept saying i'm not dead! 

Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 9 of 196
latest reply

Fredi those dreams sound awful.

on that note (sleep)  I'm having some serious trouble sleeping lately, never had insomnia before but am now really battling with this since the unexpected sleep apnea diagnosis.(Prior to this I slept like a baby)

I've even resorted to sleeping tablets, which zonk me out the next day and I don't like one little bit. Ugh

Anyway, I have asked my nurse practioner for some medical marijuana apparently some strains help with sleep, but let's see what she says. LOL I think I freaked her out a bit with asking. They would far rather throw addictive pharmaceuticals our way  than natural products like CBD oil.

But the tide is changing here in Canada, and with our new Prime Minister soon marijuana will be 100% legal. About time too.

Message 10 of 196
latest reply

An article on my youngest son

http://www.lebanonenterprise.com/content/%E2%80%98meant-be%E2%80%99-modern-family

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 11 of 196
latest reply

Sarah, how wonderful that he and his partner are able to provide such a loving home for their adopted children.  That photo tells the whole story ... they all look so happy. Thanks for posting that link, it really starts the day on a  positive upbeat note.

Message 12 of 196
latest reply

Good looking family!  Thanks for sharing!

Carol

Message 13 of 196
latest reply

What a beautiful story Sarah.  I'm so happy for your son and his family.  What a great picture.

Message 14 of 196
latest reply

That's wonderful Sarah !!!  Awesome to see some children get the love they deserve.

Sandy I'd never seen that before was hilarious !! 

Freddi , maybe you been in the elf in the shelf thread too much there's someone over there robbing piggy banks ,,,,this links for you : 

http://www.dreamdictionary.org/b/

Arlene, I always have trouble sleeping this time of year. I've succombed to camomile tea right before bed it helps some if I can get my mind to turn off it would work better. They just legalized medical mary jane here for chronic pain YESTERDAY !!! I think the only reason they legalized it, is because they thought when they first legalized it for other things that 5000 people would sign up. Now there are only 700 people using it and they are running into financial troubles from production and no use. I am going to see if I can get some, but have heard it's expensive !! I have been on pain meds for 12 yrs. now and they all don't do the job so maybe this will work?? Like I need to be loopie then I am lol......

So DS has to now extend his staycation in Mexico till the 14th to get all the work done ...

DH is driving me insane, his dish network receiver went out last friday,,,ordered a new one,,,and they sent the wrong one. SO DH is already in a tizzy about football this coming Sunday.

Last Sunday he spent in the craft/ Buddy room watching the game and said how can you stay in here it's so uncomfy...well I'm comfy in there lmao.......

K I should get doing something,,,but I feel like doing nothing * Off to read the board...~~~

You can't fix crazy but you sure can document it.
Message 15 of 196
latest reply