cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of “what’s it called” questions

I figured I’d group a few questions together so I’m not hogging the board! #1 The top left purple has a pin back on it that I don’t understand. How is this used, I’m not even able to open it. (Pretty stones though!) #2 Does the yellow glass cab have a particular name? #3 Do you think the lower left pin was painted white by a previous owner or come like this originally? #4 the lower right pin is plastic but seems to have enameling on it, which seems odd to me. I think of enamel on metal. Is there a better name for this...um, painted? Lol. I always have more questions but I’ll keep it to 4 today!!! Thanks for any help, Lisa

B657F9D8-9ED0-4C1F-87A9-FC7A1034E0EF.jpeg1EE2D94E-1DA1-4C16-A6D7-95673990C8FD.jpegCF3CD047-FC32-4197-BB8B-FA9438D0CFD4.jpeg

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Your purple pieces is actually one earring, look up Wingback.  Your yellow piece is a glass brooch made to imitate a star sapphire, more than likely German made 1930s.  No, your pin was probably not painted by a pervious owner.  It's a white enameled metal pin.  They came in white, black, blue, pink and even green.  The popular name is Japanned metal.  Your fourth pin appears to be hand painted with splatter enamel and a purple cabbage rose.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thanks Treasures...you knocked them all out! Earring? Lol! Now I feel foolish! Hopefully I’ll get the other one in a junk bag from the thrift store. I was thinking star sapphire looking the yellow, didn’t realize it could be so old. It’s weird that I’ve never come across the color japanned pins before, I tend to think of that as black. Thanks for your help!! 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

⬆️ What she (Flipping) said…!😎  I’ve had several of the “star sapphire” glass cabs in blue; don’t recall if I’ve had any in yellow.  

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

With the right word to search eBay now, I see pins in pink, yellow, and blue faux star sapphires! This board is always such a big help. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

The wingback earring is 1950s, the star glass yellow one is 30s as everyone else said.  The spatter painted one is probably 1970s from the setting and the blue and green rhinestone pin is 90s or later.  Quite a mixed bag. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Trying to cover every era! Lol

Message 7 of 7
latest reply