cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody here been spammed (or scammed?) via Community Private Message?

I've poked around on general discussion boards and didn't find any appropriate place to ask, nor any reference to anything similar - but I think I have received some kind of a scam message. It just sounds "fishy" (hope it isn't just a real attempt from someone here to make contact).

Here's what it said (with the email addy  xxx'd out)

"I have an important discussion with you, contact me by email xxx.xxx.xxx , so I can send your more information."

Sounds pretty suspicious I think. I'd call eBay to report, but don't want to hang out On Hold on the phone. I'm thinking to just ignore it, but thought maybe I'd see what you all think. Also wondering if anyone else has received anything like this.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Just got home & checking messages..I rcvd the same  

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Yes...guy from Denin W. Africa..he needed to have a "discussion." I just clicked ignore. Oh...he wanted your private e-mail addy if it's the same person. He created his eBay account today. I guess we should report this, huh?!

Diane

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Well, glad it's not just me! Also glad to know I'm not paranoid.  I'd report if it wasnt so danged difficult (like if there was a place on eBay to just type in the facts.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@whering660 wrote:

Yes...guy from Denin W. Africa..he needed to have a "discussion." I just clicked ignore. Oh...he wanted your private e-mail addy if it's the same person. He created his eBay account today. I guess we should report this, huh?!

Diane

Different name on mine but same request.

Good advice, Diane, I didn't notice that I could click on the sender naem and "Ignore" - just did that. Thanks for the solution

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

I just reported it on the report tab directly above the PM.

Gotta get to an auction! Smiley Wink

Diane

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I got the same one. I hit Report and Ignore in that order. Hushmail addresses are suspicious right off the bat, even if it hadn't had 419 scam written all over every word.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@whering660 wrote:

I just reported it on the report tab directly above the PM.

Gotta get to an auction! Smiley Wink

Diane

More good advice (and I took it)!

I don't have much experience with private messages, so now I do! And, until your response, I hadn't even considered clicking on the guy's name to get further info. Thanks again!

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I got 3 of them, I feel special. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Not today (yet) but I have received messages in the past from Asian seller/distributor type members.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

yes, I received this one, and one in the past from a young refugee girl just dying to share pics with me 😜

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

I received one too.  The urge to write back and correct his grammar was strong but I managed to resist it.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@oncoyotemountainart wrote:

I received one too.  The urge to write back and correct his grammar was strong but I managed to resist it.

Good plan! (resisting)

Wonder if they'd like to buy some lots of damaged costume jewelry?

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Well I got 2 messages and I guess I'm nosey because I just replied back.  You know what they say, "curiosity killed the cat"  LOL

Carolynheart

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

I suggest you guys do some reading on HTML code, cross-site scripting and also how easy it is to camoflage malicious code with pics. Most boards do not use HTML code anymore. Do you all know how many cookies just this board alone puts on you?

Message 15 of 21
latest reply