cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody Own A Metal Detector?

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/metal-detectorist-medieval-ring-intl-scli-gbr/index.html

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

A really nice one that we cannot figure out. Lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 31
latest reply

How cool.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 3 of 31
latest reply

I was born that way...>.<

Screenshot_20221118-190848_Google.jpg

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

I've been metal detecting for 6 or 7 years. My best find so far has been an old axe head, the handle had rotted away. But I've only been detecting our property. A good book is "Vaughn Garrett"s Favorite Finds", lots of eye candy, coins and jewelry. 

Larry

On the Chisholm Trail.
Message 5 of 31
latest reply

In addition to being a picker, I've been a metal detectorist for the past 40 years.  I've had over 200 stories on the topic of metal detecting published and have been on 5 magazine covers.  I also sold metal detectors for 15 years.  Not to minimize that find, but I've seen treasure that would astound you, and have met many of the country's top treasure hunters.  Unfortunately, it's taken its toll on my body and I don't do it as much anymore, but I wouldn't trade the experiences for anything.  That's all I'll say on the subject because I can talk about it as much as costume jewelry and there aren't enough hours in the day!

westitched1.jpg

westitched2.jpg

w&e5.jpg

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Dream,  I knew this about you so I scrolled down to see your post.  Love your magazine cover photos❣️ 😘

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Wowee this person metal detecting only 3 years ( 2019 ) finds a ring estimated to be from the 1300s.  Amazing !  Good karma or blind luck ?  😍

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Had used a metal detector in my yard.
House built in the 1880's.
Found arrows from archery practice,  cans of nails from former owners burying stuff, various old tractor gears, chains, links and such.  There was part of jaw bone of ?? who?? but that was found while digging up the yard to do projects. Didn't dare go further on that project, but did have a psychic describe from an aerial view of the homestead and - boy, I new something was funny here -

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Well I`ll be darned!  We have  a celeb amongst us!  

Hmm..now makes me wonder what other secrets  dream is hiding!  LOL  (just kidding)  that`s awesome, girl! ! 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 10 of 31
latest reply

Thanks, guys.  Full disclosure, I have a pilot's license and used to hang glide and sky dive.  I don't do that anymore, either.  The rest of my life is boring.  Ha!

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

You have to remember that Europe has been occupied for millennia.  The finds that come out of the ground over there are hundreds of years older than what we find here.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

Wowza what a find. A few years back my hubby's coin collecting magazine ran an article about a couple in the UK? I think that came across a HUGE hoard of buried gold. There was quite a to-do about who would keep the find. It was on their property, for some reason and I don't remember what it was. The state felt they should get it.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

There are trove laws in the UK.  If you find a valuable artifact or a hoard it has to be shown to a government archeologist to determine if it is historically significant.  If it is decided that it is historically significant, the government will pay what they determine the value is to the finder who then has to split it with the landowner. 

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

The "Middleham Jewel" is an interesting read. Google it, worth 2.5 million British pounds. Found by a metal detectorist 1985. From the 1400's. 

Larry

On the Chisholm Trail.
Message 15 of 31
latest reply