cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any ideas of what this stone is? TIA

I'm sure you all remember me and stones , well let's just I haven't got a clue.

Any ideas on what type of stone this is?

The brownish/gold colored area is rough, the balance is relatively smooth.

Thanks!

Pauline

P1140015.JPGP1140016.JPGP1140017.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Any ideas of what this stone is? TIA

Probably glass but kind of looks like denim lapis with matrix. Maybe look for broken air bubbles vs stone chips?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

That's a tough one, but I am leaning towards glass. It looks like there is some crazing on the lower left and the smooth color of the back are what are leading me to say that. The gold in the front could be aventurine like inclusions. Does the gold have a shimmer? This is a really interesting and unique piece, I love it!

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thanks Chistine, I was thinking glass, but then the rough areas kind of threw me off. There is a bit of shimmer to the gold areas. I didn't notice the crazy-great clue!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I agree with Christine this looks like glass to me for the same reasons that she gave.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

could you take a picture in sunlight?  I was leaning towards vintage Czech glass, but the brownish area would be smooth most likely.  maybe it is a type of stone, and the brownish area would be matrix.  the 'crazing' could be veining in stone, like turquoise

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Probably glass but kind of looks like denim lapis with matrix. Maybe look for broken air bubbles vs stone chips?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thanks everyone for your input. The brownish/gold areas had me thinking stone, but the backside made me think glass. I'm going with the best 4 out of 5 🙂
Thanks again

Pauline

Message 7 of 7
latest reply