cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another “what is it”?

I was getting some sterling cross pendants ready to post and came across this thing in my religious stuff pile. It tests as Sterling and its kind of heavy for 1-1/8” at 16 grams. I kind of see a cross on one side so I guess that’s why I through it in there but the other side has some numbers. An old coin? Any ideas??

CE418418-0E47-4A54-B320-3E10E245190B.jpegA5589102-F474-42CB-9B45-8F0B0677BF24.jpeg1E110ABD-E9E6-4B2D-B66F-CE072F658BEF.jpeg

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Another “what is it”?

appears to be a coin : does a magnet stick to it??

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Another “what is it”?

May be a Spanish cob.

Larry

On the Chisholm Trail.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Another “what is it”?

Yes, a cob.  Could be Spanish, Mexican or Portugese.  Very old.  You should have that checked out at a coin dealer since there are many fakes.  They were initially sliced off a round bar and the image was hammered on.  Over time, people would shave bits and pieces off for the silver value.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Another “what is it”?

Well that turned out to be pretty neat! I just looked at a few online and it certainly has that look. I assume it would have diminished value because of the pendant hole. Grrrrrr. (Of course a few minutes ago I thought it might be trash so still a win!) A coin dealer huh? I don’t have one of those but I’ll try to rustle one up. I don’t think my jewelry guy does coins. 

Don...a magnet doesn’t stick and I tested it with 18k acid and comes up a milky white blue.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Another “what is it”?

Try registering on cointalk.com - it's mostly guys but they're friendly.  I'm on the antiquers side of the board early and often.  Just tell them you're a total newb who had this piece fall in your lap.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Another “what is it”?

Spanish cobs are in 13 gram and 27 gram weight because "One Troy Ounce contains 2.75 grams more than a Regular Ounce" Spanish used Regular Ounce weighting system. Your coin weights 16 gram or appx 1/2 Troy Ounce. 

These coins are commonly taken rubber mold of and copied in Sterling Silver. You need to check for surface porosity to figure out if this coin is a copy or a real deal. Either way, since coin is drilled, pretty much it's sold for a little more than its weight and used as ornaments. Actually, looks beautiful on a gold frame with Sapphires and Rubies on a gold chain  

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Another “what is it”?

coin_23.jpg

Please check the red oval area and tell me what do you see inside the yellow target. Are those raised up or holes? Thanks  

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Another “what is it”?

Evelyn....thanks I’ll check them out! 
SantaMon...geez...the spot you’re asking about is small! It’s actually pretty flat, not particularly porous looking. I tried a few more pics of that area to show you. Really interesting that the weight of this gave you information. Thanks for the education. I guess the hole really is unfortunate in the case that it’s real. 🤦🏻‍♀️ 

039F4D2A-37C7-483F-830D-AE6A3D0FB0F7.jpegF76DBF8B-EDCB-43F7-A6E2-B71BFC7AFFEC.jpegCADD170E-AB51-4A7F-9234-63A9F6EF7C53.jpeg

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Another “what is it”?

You shouldn't look for holes. We want to see holes for real coin. You should look for 'sort of say'; mountains.

It's okay. You need a microscope 

Then, I am 50-50 my friend. Not sure if this coin is real!

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Another “what is it”?

There's a lot of information on that coin.  A cob expert can tell you everything you need to know such as where it was minted and other interesting info.  The heraldic figures on the cross side are similar to silver marks on jewelry and flatware.  I believe I see a date of 1702 on one side.   I used to have a book on cobs but I lent it to someone and never got it back.

I'm leaning towards it being authentic because if someone went to the trouble to drill it an wear it, it might have been a personal memento of some type.  At one time I had 4 cobs but now I'm down to one.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Another “what is it”?

I’m going to see if my brother can take it to a coin guy on his ups route. I’ll let you guys know what I find out. Thanks for your help!

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Another “what is it”?

This piece could be repurposed either way. So, it wouldn't matter  

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Another “what is it”?

Thee hole for the loop may have been drilled a long time ago:

used to place on a chain with others so the owner had some metal to purchase with.. It may have been found that way with out the loop.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply