cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A buyer bought a Princess Beanie from me, then this happened...

I sold a $349 (starting bid), BIN for $47k.  A certain buyer got it.  After the purchase, which was the night before, I woke up, purchased the shipping label directly through ebay for $4, and was about to leave the house to ship it to him.  Turns out, he messaged me.  Good thing I decided to check that message, because the whole situation became messy.  He basically wanted me to take another, clearer picture of the tush tag.  He wanted to make sure it was what he hoped it was... (basically that it was PVC pellets and not PE).  I tried convincing him that that doesn't really matter, that I was almost 100% sure I was correct.  Also, that I was unhappy, but happy for him of course that I didn't wake to it being in the 1000's from a bidding way.  Apparently, he got it at the lowest/first bidding price.  Is what it is I told him, and congratulations to him.  But, upon sending him the new picture of the tush tag, sans finger (I told him I do that pretty often, even in family photos), he said, "Unfortunately, that is not what I was looking for, as it does not have PVC pellets.  I request a full refund.  If you can't do this, I will get ebay involved." 

Now, I was very worried, as I love seeing my 100% positive rating keep going up at 100%.  I was worried this guy getting ebay involved would/could possibly taint that... not that I wouldn't have reciprocated in kind, in a very professional way.  Thing is... he was correct.  The PVC one is worth so much more, as it was in fact the 1st ed, and worth upwards of 100s of thousands, and people selling them for that right now, and will likely get that from some rich collectors out there. 

Now here is the issue, now that he and I are on understanding, amicable ground.  He still wants a refund, and I am willing to do that, of course.  Problem is, the item is listed as shipping now, and he doesn't want it shipped in the state he doesn't want it in.  That creates a problem, for me.  My money (his money) is on hold.  I showed him that in a screenshot.  I can't access it to refund it to him.  So, if I refund him from my money (which I am basically poor, and have 240 in my main checking account) I can't cover that right now.  Also, shouldn't have to.  BUT, if I did have like let's say 500 in my account, and I gave him back 349 now, and then ebay returns 349 to him in the coming days... I'm out 600, and he's up 600 basically.  I don't want that.  How would you guys suggest I proceed here?  Has anyone else been through such a crazy, murky situation?  I imagine you have time and again, and things worked out.  How did you proceed to both not get screwed on the deal, and manage to keep both parties with positive feedback.  Right now we have both agreed on positive feedback for each other, of course.  But... that was before I realized that I could not refund him the money I did not have. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@oikos_collectibles The buyer will not receive double amounts, that's not how it works. You need to cancel the purchase because the buyer changed their mind, or use buyer requested. They no longer want this item, By canceling for that reason you will receive your fees back and not be out of pocket for this. You will have to use your credit card to refund the buyer through your eBay account. The system will show the transaction was canceled and the buyer refunded. Afterwards you will receive the funds back into your account.

You really need to read up on the process for selling and what the policies are for your own benefit. This platform offers a money back guarantee to all buyers, so you really need to pay attention to details in your listings. You can do this, but you need to put in some time reading up on how first. Best of luck to you....

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Tried as you said, cancelling it.  But, not enough funds in my bank to cover whatever it is they need.  Attached a screenshot of the failed refund.couldnt process refund.jpg

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Yes, correct. That means YOU need to fund your account first. I'm sorry but that's how it works. You sold the item and now you have to refund it, but the funds aren't there. That's how this system works. You will need to find the money and place it into your account in order for the refund to go through. 

If you delay, the time will run out and eBay will get involved. That will cost you more money as there is a charge for eBay getting involved, you will also receive a ding for not handling this properly. You are about to lose more than you realize if you don't quickly fund your account and refund your buyer. This is how online selling works.... 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

All worked out now.  Did as you said, and the order has been cancelled.  I'm new to ebay, and there's a lot of stuff to take into consideration and learn about.  So, give this man a break there lamber.  I'm trying to do things to the best of my ability, every transaction.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@oikos_collectibles I'm certain you will be fine in time, but that's what I've been saying from my first post. You will be successful in time. You really need to spend time reading up on the policies here in order to be able to handle things quickly. You will have more issues such as this, it's what happens when you sell items to perfect strangers across the country. Online selling is not like the TV commercials make it seem, it can be quite a challenge to get things done correctly and efficiently. 

I suggest you spend more time on this forum reading as well. Lots of great information on here for newer sellers. You should make it a point to always come here for any questions as you will receive good advice. I've been selling here for a long time and still come here to ask questions of others. There is so much to learn because everything changes day to day. Best of luck to you....

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for your reply lamber!  Much appreciated, and good luck to you on your journey here as well.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply