cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any hair experts here?? Is Pantene really bad for your hair?

I have been told now by 2 different beauticians not to use Pantene and that it is really damaging to hair. I love the Pantene Pro-V conditioner for dry/damaged hair. Is it really that bad? It seems like the only conditioner that has done my hair good. I have long fine blonde hair. I recently got a perm and the beautician told me that it even could strip out my perm if I used it. I would really like some info on this if anyone knows anything about it. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

I am a Pantene user and have been for many, many years. It is the only hair care product that works on my long, thick hair and I've tried just about all of the products out there (Redken, Biolage, Salon Selectives, Paul Mitchel, etc). It is in my opinion that the stylists are going to say OTC hair care products are bad to push their expensive products. If Pantene works for you, I say keep using it 🙂
Message 2 of 63
latest reply

I also have used Pantene for years with no problems.
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
 photo 2296388f-feb1-48d2-9555-475e062b3333.jpg
To Everything, There is a Season...
Message 3 of 63
latest reply

I've never heard anything bad about Pantene...?:| I agree with poster #1....
Message 4 of 63
latest reply

I know Pantene tends to really coat the hair and make it very glossy/shiny. I don't care for Pantene myself but there's nothing wrong with it. If that's what works for you, I wouldn't quit using it.

Out of my mind; back in five minutes

Message 5 of 63
latest reply

hairnfacepro30
Enthusiast
I am a professional stylist/certified product educator. Pantene isn't BAD for the hair, it just doesn't "condition" it really either. Pantene, like alot of OTC haircare has lots of silicones(or different types of silicone) in them. Now, If you put something plastic under heat(hair dryer,sun)-what might happen?? It melts. If hot enough it can start to form a build up shell around the cuticle of the hair. This will: 1.wiegh your hair down 2. If you use heat to style your hair or work in the sun- you are pretty much damaging your hair internally by smothering the cuticle. Which leads to the next point-3. with build up from OTC products, nothing is getting injected into the hair shaft. Hair is pourous! That's how we can color it! Pantene fills those pores with silicone and wax therefore if your doesn't get the nutrients and vitamins that it is need need of to reconstruct itself back into healthy manageble hair. Pantene is a "quick fix".It gives the hair a slick feel by the coating it leaves on the hair.-Why is that bad? Well it's not if you just intend on keeping your hair in a compromised state FOREVER. Professional products rebuild the hair from the inside out. It's called an interbonding system. If you use the pro product your stylist suggests to you- how she/he says to use it cosistantly for a month, you will be able to tell a difference. That is if your stylist is educated on the updated information about the products being suggested. That is why some people don't have luck with these products. The quick fix makes them happy....But I'd rather have healthy hair personally. Then you don't have to use so many styling aids because your hair is more manageable, and has life to it. And if someone is using the OTC products because their hair is so dry and frizzy---well, Hello....it's damaged! It needs to be reconstructed! You can go to any of the pro. websites to find a salon near you that is educated on the specific products in which they sell. If the stylist just say's stuff that doesn't include how the product works, why it works, and what is in it that makes it work-then I wouldn't buy it. Now you have the correct information, pass it on! How do you know I'm right? I'm an educator for the a worldwide-worldfamous haircare/color company.
Message 6 of 63
latest reply

Hi! I am poster #2 that uses Pantene and what you say makes sense. I am also financially challenged. I go to Sally's to purchase all my nail supplies as I have done my own for years and must say everyine thinks they are real even though they are quite long!

I have very thin hair, especially on top. Do you think the girls at Sally's would be able to recommend a product (as they sell the professional products)?
Message 7 of 63
latest reply

pokervixen
Thrill-Seeker
How can a product rebuild your hair from within if hair is dead protein?
Message 8 of 63
latest reply

I also wondered that as well.
Message 9 of 63
latest reply

janielee777
Enthusiast
The Nioxin products for hair loss clients work very well...they cost an arm and a leg but if you scoot over to the SuperWalmart inside the store there should be a Regis Salon called Smartstyle...they have specials and usually the best prices on the best of professional products
Very interesting thread
Janie

Janie
Message 10 of 63
latest reply

janielee777
Enthusiast
I dont want to say I disagree with a fellow professional...maybe I misunderstand what hairnfacepro said... once hair grows out of the skin it is technically "dead" (as a fingernail free edge is) BUT the appearance and feel of it can be vastly improved with the right hair products.. your hairstylist who knows your hair and shouild know her products can recommend something that she knows will work for you. The Ph of a product has everything to do with the products performance.
Janie

Janie
Message 11 of 63
latest reply

Pantene fills those pores with silicone and wax therefore if your doesn't get the nutrients and vitamins that it is need need of to reconstruct itself back into healthy manageble hair

Hair is dead. It does not need nutrients and vitamins. It can not reconstruct itself. You can smear all the nutrients and vitamins you want on it, they aren't going to help it.

Professional products rebuild the hair from the inside out. It's called an interbonding system

Nonsense. You can not rebuild hair, you can only coat it with something else. Hair is dead. All you can do is put something on it that will bond with the hair and make it more manageable. You can't "rebuild" something that's dead.

I have perfectly healthy, manageable hair and I've always used drug store shampoo and conditioner on it. I'm so glad I have a hair stylist that does not hand me that line of hooey about salon products being better for your hair.

Out of my mind; back in five minutes

Message 12 of 63
latest reply

janielee777
Enthusiast
Yoohoooo...Bugsy...
did ya read what I said?:-)
Janie

Janie
Message 13 of 63
latest reply

forever_wild
Enthusiast
According to Allure magazine Pantene used to be sold in salons many many years ago and was very expensive. Then Proctor & Gamble bought them out and made Pantene available at a cheaper price. Whether or not they changed it any, I don't know.

You should check out Paula Begoun's website if you think you have to buy expensive salon products in order to get a good product. She's been with the beauty industry for over 30 years and is known as the cosmetic cop. She says that just because something is expensive and sold in a salon doesn't mean it's a good product and that there are many drug store brands that are just as good. When I use a salon shampoo and conditioner, compared to a drug store brand, I can't tell any difference.
Message 14 of 63
latest reply

forever_wild
Enthusiast
Oh, and by the way, I have a hair disorder called trichorrhexis nodosa. I won't go into detail but my hair breaks off very easily. I've tried the salon 'reconstructors' but they didn't work. My dermatologist told me all I can do is cut off the damaged part and stop all chemical procedures. If you really could reconstruct the hair, them my hair would be healthy but it's nothing but a bunch of hogwash sold to us by an industry that just wants to make money.
Message 15 of 63
latest reply