cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please explain the obsession with designer handbags

Not trying to be  a pill, but I truly do not get it. I have seen real deal and maybe I am just ignorant. But I cannot see why one handbag is worth  the price realized. It is just a handbag.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I think a lot of it has to do with the name, just like shoes.

They don't buy for the bag or shoes, they are buying the name.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

If you're not a fashionista and not in that world you will never understand. To oversimplify: brands command more money; from everyday products to luxury & designer items. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Of course you are right. I am not in that world. I am not sure I would want to be. To each their own. And those can actually afford the 1000 plus vinyl purse because of a name on it, that is fine. I guess. I just do not see that the quality of some designer goods justify the price.

Okay, I will go back into my hovel shaking my head at the gullibility.

Buying a name. I can see that I think. But push comes to shove nobody knows a person bought that name unless they are bragging about it.

Oh, never mind. I am just having a day of wishing people knew what has value and what does not.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I  love my designer bags, they are impeccably made, and wear like iron..my five year old Coach and Kate Spade look as good as the day I bought them, five years ago.Figure I save money in the long run..

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Thank you. that is good information

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I stopped carrying a bag years ago.  I have my DL, atm, credit card, cash, and insurance cards in my phone case which I keep in a pocket.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

What do you define as “designer”? I don’t consider any Asian made bag “designer”, not at this point at least, though many are moving in the direction of higher quality materials and good construction and design.

Theres different levels of quality and materials used in these bags. Go watch a YouTube video of how some of these higher end bags are constructed. It’s a labor of love and requires a skilled, experienced craftsman with extremely precise hands and patience to craft some of these bags. 

In other words, you are talking about experienced workers who are paid well, coupled with the high material cost, high manufacturing costs to get those materials ready for assembly, and it may take many hours of tedious labor to construct 1 bag. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I agree, to me, its all about quality and endurance for a great handbag. And I dont mind paying extra for that.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Same reason someone would have spent 1 grand on a discontinued  hostess twinkie . That happened on here awhile back. People with money are bored out of their mind and find really ridiculous ways to spend it.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Now it's Ronzoni Pastina No. 155...discontinued. : )

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

"People with money are bored out of their mind and find really ridiculous ways to spend it.:

Investing in an impeccably made handbag that will last for years is not a ridiculous way to spend money.My grandmother used to say she'd rather have one finely made dress that will last for years,instead of three cheap ones that will fall apart in six months. I happen to agree with that theory. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply