cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this Chanel Authentic.

Hello everyone!

Im hoping to get some confirmation about a Chanel Cardigan I bought recently at an auction. They claimed that it came from a high end estate and that they believed it to be authentic but that I could get a refund if it wasn't. 

everything I've seen about it makes me believe its real, but I had someone interested in this and they said they have never seen Chinese on the tag before? here are the pics of the current eBay auction, but I don't want to sell to anyone if its not real.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/126274687891 

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Is this Chanel Authentic.

Chanel doesn't use qr codes in their clothing and that qr code doesn't even look like an actual qr code. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Hi there, 

the little QR tag has two sides, and the code is on the backside of the tag. I recently added the additional picture to the auction website. 

I can see in other tag images of this cardigan that the little tag exists under the main back tag. but there isn't a clear pic. 

This auction for the same garment shows the little tag similar to mine, and a QR code on the tag, But if you scan this it doesn't say anything . https://www.ebay.ca/itm/304918410851

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

It's not the same. The labels are different. Why don't you message the seller of the other one.. the one that is authentic... and ask her if hers has a qr code on it like yours does. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

The qr code you're referring to on the other listing (which is authentic) is a qr code on the store tag. Not the tag sewn in like you show. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I appreciate your input, I have messaged the seller of the new Cardigan about the QR code.  

thanks, again. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

This sweater has a similar QR code tag in it.

https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/204474150097

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

The photo you added to your listing... showing the other side of the QR code... it is authentic. The photo you originally showed was different though. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I returned the sweater and ended the auction. I talked with a representative from Chanel and was informed that without original receipt there is no way to verify its authenticity which I find laughable. 

Any company that sells such expensive goods that doesn't support their products afterward is a waste of time. There was  3 serial numbers and a QR code on the cardigan and none of them mean a thing. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@themonsheshe wrote:

I returned the sweater and ended the auction. I talked with a representative from Chanel and was informed that without original receipt there is no way to verify its authenticity which I find laughable. 

Any company that sells such expensive goods that doesn't support their products afterward is a waste of time. There was  3 serial numbers and a QR code on the cardigan and none of them mean a thing. 

Any reputable company would not authenticate an item from a picture on a 3rd party site..

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Theres a Chanel Store and I would have taken the Garment in, but Chanel doesn't authenticate, and I don't blame them. 

I do however fault them for not having a serial number database or something similar. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@themonsheshe wrote:

I do however fault them for not having a serial number database or something similar. 

This is a general comment about a serial number database and why it wouldn't help determine authenticity of a particular item. 

If such a database was available, what would stop a counterfeiter from making fakes with a "valid" number or a rogue employee from gaining access and making available such a list to outsiders? 

Another thing to keep in mind, especially on items in brands that do not use unique serial numbers (Coach, for example) is that multiple items (both genuine and fakes) can have the same serial number. Some of the fakes even have "correct" serial numbers for the style and item they're on. 

I do get that Chanel uses unique serial numbers but want to point out that ANYTHING can be copied and if there's money in it, the scammers will find a way to do it. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 12 of 12
latest reply