cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication Guarantee Denied because of Odor?

Ok guys. Sold a beautiful YSL Niki bag , shipped it off, and a couple days later I get this message through ebay. (And I qoute)

"Our authentication partner received your item but, unfortunately, it didn’t pass the inspection. We’re refunding the buyer $650.00 and will seek reimbursement of this amount from you. Below you’ll find our authenticator’s notes about your item:

• The interior has more odor than listed or disclosed in the listing. ; Unable to confirm authenticity

Listing an item that is not authentic, an item you're not certain is authentic, or an item that cannot be confirmed as authentic by an authenticator, is a violation of our counterfeit policy. This item may not be relisted. " (end qoute)

Now, with that being said, firstly, The only smell it had was of soft well cared for leather. (as it should be) '

And when is Odor a reason to determine if a handbag is authentic or not regardless? This bag was pre owned, yet immaculate clean inside and out. Oh well, what do ya do? 

Anyway: Just wanted to share this new nightmare experience that has recently been rolled out, but there is a fix, at least for me there is. Only sell items here that fall below the $$ threshold if it is associated with an authentic guarantee program, for it's not worth the risk to be mislabeled when knowing for a fact an item is authentic. On the upside...Sure am glad I'm not a sneaker seller

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Please provide more photos and the interior tag too. Thank you.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Ebay will always side with the buyer and odors are subjective, and the authenticator may have a sensitive nose.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Could it have smelled like mildly like a chemical?

I have read that cheap knock-off's often have a mild smell of chemicals related to glues and low grade materials to manufacture them. Many may not notice, but the trained inspectors might.

It does not mean its fake, just simply being suspect will bring up red flags.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@bongos_gallery_boutique wrote:

Ok guys. Sold a beautiful YSL Niki bag , shipped it off, and a couple days later I get this message through ebay. (And I qoute)

"Our authentication partner received your item but, unfortunately, it didn’t pass the inspection. We’re refunding the buyer $650.00 and will seek reimbursement of this amount from you. Below you’ll find our authenticator’s notes about your item:

• The interior has more odor than listed or disclosed in the listing. ; Unable to confirm authenticity

Listing an item that is not authentic, an item you're not certain is authentic, or an item that cannot be confirmed as authentic by an authenticator, is a violation of our counterfeit policy. This item may not be relisted. " (end qoute)

Now, with that being said, firstly, The only smell it had was of soft well cared for leather. (as it should be) '

And when is Odor a reason to determine if a handbag is authentic or not regardless? This bag was pre owned, yet immaculate clean inside and out. Oh well, what do ya do? 

Anyway: Just wanted to share this new nightmare experience that has recently been rolled out, but there is a fix, at least for me there is. Only sell items here that fall below the $$ threshold if it is associated with an authentic guarantee program, for it's not worth the risk to be mislabeled when knowing for a fact an item is authentic. On the upside...Sure am glad I'm not a sneaker seller

@bongos_gallery_boutique 

"And when is Odor a reason to determine if a handbag is authentic or not regardless?

Based on what you described, the rejection for odor was unrelated to authenticity. They're looking to mitigate a SNAD claim for the undisclosed (alleged) odor. 

The second reason the bag was rejected was for authenticity.

So according to them, there are 2 separate issues. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Hi there. Really sorry to hear of your troubles with a sensitive nose haha!

I've had three handbags in a row declined, and I'm getting no notes whatsoever when declined. Can you tell me where you're seeing the inspector's notes? Thanks!

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Hi there. Really sorry to hear of your troubles with a sensitive nose haha!

I've had three handbags in a row declined, and I'm getting no notes whatsoever when declined. Can you tell me where you're seeing the inspector's notes? Thanks!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply