cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need a hand with a vintage Gucci scarf

I have an issue here. 

I'm usually very good with knowing the difference between real and fake and 

this vintage gucci scarf seemed good to me. But for some reason it got pulled.

I would like to get the boards opinion on it before I bother to have it "professionally" authenticated.

So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

22" x 22" ~ rolled edging ~ no care tag

Thanks!

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

While I'm not officially a gucci authenticator, I have a scarf in the same pattern and in researching, found it to be a vintage item. I don't see any problems with your scarf.
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Agree vintage Gucci scarf.and get it authenticated.
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Thanks!

I will get it authenticated, just to get the strike removed. 
Then I'll list it elsewhere, lol.

Walter

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Make sure they do remove the strike. Sometimes you have to call several times to get someone who'll give you more than lip service.
albertabrightalberta

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

I only came across this topic today, but being very familiar with vintage Gucci scarf graphics & their aesthetic traditions, I have to say this is a poorly printed fake. Sorry!

Those GG logos are misshaped & the propeller/D-arch marks (i.e. not horse bits) are all wrong, as well as the pattern.

Note the connected D-arch marks do not match either of the 2 nautical marks or patterns used by Gucci, i.e. not www.trademarkia.com/logo-78661151.html or http://trademark.markify.com/trademarks/ctm/no+word+mark/004423273 & www.ipaustralia.com.au/applicant/guccio-gucci-spa/trademarks/1105970/

The Gucci Script signature (curved-top G) is also poorly printed directly on the scarf (sans frame/ticket) & on the border (vs inside the graphic square); not Gucci typography or tradition.

e.g. Original Script signature (curved-top G):- vintage Accornero: http://tinyurl.com/Gucci-sig-1967 & on the latest Gucci: http://tinyurl.com/Gucci-sig-2015 

Unfortunately, you apparently sold a common fake Gucci Flora scarf in August.

"It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble, it's what you know for sure that just ain't so." —
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

I'd contact authenticate4u and get a professional authentication.
albertabrightalberta

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

I think your comments are valid and now I'm concerned as I thought it just looked vintage. The printing comment really hit home but again, I think the OP needs to get it authenticated and apologies OP if I too am contributing to you wasting another $7.50 on it. No comment on the other scarf as I never looked into history.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Thank you for that information genemaat, it is very helpful.

Apparently I must have been mistaken about the other scarf you brought up.

I will say of all the high end designers Gucci is my weak point, I will be more diligent in the future when it comes to that brand.

Although I am surprised you went through all 295 of my completed items to look for errors.

Walter

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@jsales0 wrote:

I think your comments are valid and now I'm concerned as I thought it just looked vintage. The printing comment really hit home...

Hi Jsales0,

I understand exactly what you mean. The 'vintage factor' used to make me doubt my first instincts too, it was only experience in graphic arts, typography & quality control standards that made me realize that luxury design houses like Gucci et al didn't produce substandard goods in earlier decades, on the contrary. They wouldn't have achieved their fame & reputation for superior quality if they did (with fans like Jackie O, Princess Grace, Diana etc.)  

Sadly though, because every famous brand's products have been counterfeited for decades — the more famous, the more fakes produced — far more fake scarves are ever seen now than originals (outnumbered by at least 1,000 to 1). The inevitable result is a widespread perception of 'vintage' associated with either poorer quality, incongruous/atypical styles or both. As demonstrated by the overwhelming flood of fake scarves with graphics & logo fonts never created or used by the designers, yet still assumed real by many, including Chanel, Dior, Prada & Versace, to name a few.

In my specific study of counterfeit designer scarves over the past 8 years, I've found print quality & graphics/typography are typically the first sign. Unfortunately, very few "authentication services" specialize in particular designer's scarves (essentially artworks on fabric), and are evidently unfamiliar with some of the most common fake scarf 'designs', which were & are also made in silks with hand rolled hems.

So, this one is not only poorly printed with roughly outlined & misshaped (morphed) horsebit-style marks but with brown color-bleed/overlap on the yellow frame border.

Maybe Gucci's "propeller" mark was 'mated' with their "stylized horse bit" marks to produced this (and its variants) — I've just never found any of these hybrid marks either registered or used on anything proven to be by Gucci.

Also, because I specialize in identifying counterfeits & know the range produced, I never declare anything "authentic" that I haven't personally seen in either the designer's boutique (or official site), an authorized retail store or  published by the designer in a magazine advertisement. 

@wearitsatvintage wrote:

Thank you for that information genemaat, it is very helpful.

Apparently I must have been mistaken about the other scarf you brought up.

I will say of all the high end designers Gucci is my weak point, I will be more diligent in the future when it comes to that brand.

Although I am surprised you went through all 295 of my completed items to look for errors.

Walter

No problem, Walter. I really didn't go through 295 of your completed items, though, I only typed Gucci in the search box to see what you'd listed before that might have been a good example for you to compare this one with. Smiley Happy

"It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble, it's what you know for sure that just ain't so." —
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Great comments genemaat and I really hope you'll check in here more often. There seem to be fewer and fewer people posting these days.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Great information!  Thank you for posting that.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

I apologize for my tardy response and I'm embarrassed to say that I have (what turns out to be) a fake Gucci scarf in the same pattern as that of the OP. Thankfully, I didn't try to sell this scarf becauseI bought this scarf (at a thrift store) for my own use and cannot stand that I've been wearing a fake!

It will be going back!

Although my silk looks tacky in the pictures below, in this case, it's the light and the fact that I did quickie pictures on top of dark granite. The silk is not as cheap looking in real life, the hems are rolled and hand-stitched and although I've done okay in id'ing authentic designer scarves when I find them in thrift shops, I failed miserably on this one.

In my side-by-side pictures of the OP's scarf, my same style and the Gucci script logo compared to authentic versions, the differences are obvious.

If nothing else, this post can offer an education!

fake gucci scarves OP and mine.png

fake gucci scarves logo op mine vs auth.png

albertabrightalberta

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

I'm still kicking myself on this one. Every vintage Gucci scarf I've pulled is rolled to the back-the OP's looks rolled to the front. 

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@jsales0 wrote:

I'm still kicking myself on this one. Every vintage Gucci scarf I've pulled is rolled to the back-the OP's looks rolled to the front. 

I don't think it is rolled to the front. It looks similar to mine (which is rolled to the back) but the thinner silk fabric (if it's even silk) makes it hard to tell which way it rolls. I think you're just seeing the transparency of the material.

I'm kicking myself too because I have a couple of other known authentic Gucci scarves and there's an obvious difference in the quality and weight of the silk.

albertabrightalberta

Message 15 of 22
latest reply