cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping to Germany, packaging restrictions

Just went through a convoluted discussion with a potential buyer in Germany who was considering buying 2 dresses from me.  I quoted her the (expensive) shipping information and she wanted me to combine the shipping both for customs purposes and cost reduction.  As it turned out when I checked, the price was almost exactly the same whether I put the dresses in 1 pkg or two.  Ultimately we didn't decide on a price, so for this particular transaction it's a moot point.

But then another seller told me about this rule when shipping to Germany:

"All manufacturers and retailers that sell or ship packaged goods to consumers in Germany are required to adhere to Germany's VerpackG (Packaging Act), which relates to the collection and recycling of packaging materials.

A single national authority, Zentrale Stelle, operates the LUCID Packaging Register, implements the Packaging Act, and assumes essential tasks for this purpose, including providing a platform for declaration. This obligation applies regardless of the kind of packaging for producers of:

• Packages subject to system participation: Retail, grouped, and shipment packaging.

• Packages not subject to system participation: Transport packaging, reusable packaging, and single-use beverage packaging, which are subject to a deposit.

View the LUCID Packaging Register graphic to help delineate between packaging subject to system participation and packaging not to system participation. You can also view the LUCID Packaging Register's frequently asked questionsfor the most up-to-date information.

Note

Packages not sent through commercial activity, such as gifts or donations, do not need to follow the Packaging Act guidelines.

What You Need To Do

When you send packages to Germany as an online retailer, you are responsible for:

1. Completing the LUCID Packaging Register to receive your identification number. ShipStation recommends appointing an authorized representative to act on your behalf when you register with the LUCID Packaging Register since it lifts the responsibility off your business.

If you choose not to use a representative, you will register as a Producer.

If there is no registration, packaged goods can no longer ship to Germany. This distribution ban also applies to downstream distributors. A producer failing to register may be subject to a fine of up to €100,000.

Important

The appointment of a representative can only be done by companies based and operating outside of Germany.

All companies based in Germany must appoint someone from within their own organization.

2. Updating your buyers on returns and recycling options. The Packaging Act requires sellers to provide this information to German buyers. You can communicate it in your packing slip messages or store's terms and conditions."   

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Shipping to Germany, packaging restrictions

So.....I do very little international shipping directly but am signed up for eBay's International Shipping program and I understand that in that case I would be shipping the package to a US location and it would then be shipped from there to my overseas buyer(s).

ANYWAY, I posted this partly MAINLY because I want to stop shipping to Germany, but can't for the life of me find a way to bulk-edit my listings to exclude Germany.  Is there a way to do that and if so, could you point me in the right direction?  MANY THANKS! 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@wastingtime101 has walked me through bulk editing and is very helpful and knowledgeable. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Hey @bsbk13 . If you ship with eIS (eBay International Shipping) you don't have to worry about any of those packaging requirements for Germany, France, or anywhere else. You pack and ship exactly as you would with any domestic transaction. No need to block Germany due to packing requirements.

However if you want to block them for other reasons, instructions depend on whether you use business policies or not. Two different sets of instructions for biz policy users and non biz policy users.

Please @ tag me on your response so I can find my way back here as I don't typically read posts on the Fashion board.

If you prefer, you can go to your first post upthread, click the 3 dots on the top right and select "report inappropriate content" and in the comments box ask the moderator to move your thread to the Shipping board. I'm much more likely to see new replies on the Shipping board to offer you help throughout the process without the need to tag me on responses. 🙂

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Hi, wasting time.....I do have Ebay International Shipping turned on, but don't know how to access it.  This particular buyer was someone who wanted to purchase two Make Offer items and then the shipping got very complicated, so we decided to call it quits.    But in the future, let's say she had put the 2 items in her cart and requested an invoice from me.....is there (if there is, I'm unaware of it) an option for me to ship it domestically through EIS and let THEM deal with the Lucid #?  Thanks for your response!  Beth

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

You can’t provide an invoice for an EIS shipment but ebay will automatically do some sort of discount on the international shipping portion. But since your listings aren’t set up to automatically discount domestic shipping, there will not be discounted domestic shipping.   You could do one listing with both items and discount your portion of the shipping that way. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply