cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this Chanel Authentic

Hello everyone!

Im hoping to get some confirmation about a Chanel Cardigan I bought recently at an auction. They claimed that it came from a high end estate and that they believed it to be authentic but that I could get a refund if it wasn't. 

everything I've seen about it makes me believe its real, but I had someone interested in this and they said they have never seen Chinese on the tag before? here are the pics of the current eBay auction, but I don't want to sell to anyone if its not real.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/126274687891 

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Is this Chanel Authentic

Please wait for other opinions but I'm not feeling positive about it. 

The quality doesn't look like it's there and that "supposed" QR code shown in picture #4 isn't a real QR code. 

Note also that the seller  saying that "they believed it to be authentic" isn't enough that it should have been listed whether it's authentic or not. Sellers are supposed to KNOW items are authentic BEFORE listing and if they don't know, they're supposed to find out. And if authenticity can't be verified, it's not allowed to be listed, authenticity disclaimer or not! 

ETA: Wait a second! I didn't realize that is your own listing. 

You need to end that listing unless and until you learn authenticity.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Is this Chanel Authentic

@themonsheshe 

You may want to post on the handbags forum:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Handbags/bd-p/luxury-handbags

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Is this Chanel Authentic

FYI, this is the policy: 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/counterfeit-item-policy?id=4276&st=3&...

One of the requirements: 

• Do not list an item if you are not certain it is authentic or if an authenticator has been unable to confirm its authenticity
albertabrightalberta

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Is this Chanel Authentic

Another comment: The sweater does seem to match some other images I found for the same style. 

I hope someone knows Chanel clothing well enough to advise you.

albertabrightalberta

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Is this Chanel Authentic

OK thanks for your input. 

I didn't realize the policy, I just had no reason to believe the garment wasnt real. Im not a Chanel expert, but I've been selling vintage clothing for a long time, the garment is very well made, the tags are all very precise in terms of stitching and location, and the coding is accurate.  I have seen Chinese writing on other chanel garments. 

The QR code that is in the picture is on a small tag that lies underneath the main back tag, I have not seen any other tags of this sort on a Chanel garment, but I can see that the tag exists on similar sweaters. 

are you familiar with these QR codes? 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Is this Chanel Authentic

I did, Appreciate your help.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Is this Chanel Authentic

What happens when you read the QR code with a smartphone?

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Is this Chanel Authentic

Yes im hoping too, This sweater is only a couple years old and I get the feeling that a lot of the standard tag/label stuff is different on these. 

The little QR tag that is behind the Chanel tag has two sides, one of which you can see in the auction and the other I just added to the auction photos.  

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Is this Chanel Authentic

I did it with just my phone and with a QR code app. Both read the code appropriately and display the Number pictured below but they didn't seem to initiate any identification of the brand at all. 

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Is this Chanel Authentic

@themonsheshe wrote:

the tags are all very precise in terms of stitching and location

The stitching is not correct. Look at the black Chanel label. It is stitched incorrectly at the bottom. Also, the size is off center. 

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Is this Chanel Authentic

Hi there, thanks for you input, I really appreciate it. 

Could you explain what you mean by how its stitched incorrectly? I understand that for the most part  how Chanel tags are attached, but I think they are different on Cardigans, and I've examined this tag against quite a few others and can't see any differences. chanel 22a burgundy cardigan

I do agree tho that the size tag is slightly off centre. 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Is this Chanel Authentic

I agree that you need to remove the listing. It does not look like Chanel quality and the label does look incorrect for a Chanel item.  Even the buttons look off.

If it were me, I'd take it back for the refund they told you could have. It's not worth risking your account!

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Is this Chanel Authentic

Well, Again im not a chanel expert by any stretch, but I've spent many years dealing in vast amounts of clothing. Im not sure what you are talking about in terms of quality but the garment is very finely made, cashmere, but of a slightly heavier weave than on a typical sweater.  The tag is attached exactly like the others ive seen.  

The buttons are identical to the other ive seen online. 

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Is this Chanel Authentic

Hi, I can't speak to the authenticity of the sweater, but I think a good question for this board would be Is there an eBay-accepted company that authenticates Chanel?   Most of them just require that you send them the photos that you've shown here and charge you a reasonable fee to have an expert look at it.  They'll send you an email certificate if it's real.  

Even if the very knowledgeable people here felt it was authentic, their opinion is still their opinion and I don't believe acceptable as a true authentication is in the eyes of eBay.   I can certainly see how lucrative it would be to make a relatively expensive copy of a sweater that sells for thousands of dollars.

Good advice:  Take the listing down for now, have it authenticated, then list with confidence.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply