cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Market value of Playpals going down? What would you value my doll at?

I can only assume that doll market values in general would be going down, but I've not been able to find any several year sold listings to compare to, so I was hoping that someone who's been around for a number of years collecting dolls, and knew the general prices, could chime in.

I'm not planning to sell my doll, as I've only just bought her, and I've wanted a Patti Playpal for a while. She's on her way to me, and she was not purchased on Ebay, else I would post the link.

How much do you think she would be valued at? This is my most expensive doll purchase ($325 CDN.  OR $250 USD. altogether).

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Market value of Playpals going down? What would you value my doll at?

Spoiler
O

F3AF358D-FCD6-4765-BFDB-B854006E1586.jpeg2F95ACDB-33A2-45EE-A45A-6A924BDBB2DA.jpeg3F185033-799B-4EF8-9901-F131104F0733.jpeg

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Wow, better get mine out. I haven’t looked at prices lately because I can’t find a box big enough. Yours is pretty. Enjoy her.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

it really depends on the doll, hopefully when you get yours you can try to do something about the discoloration. This is always prevalent in olls when they mix vinyl with plastic. All the old dolls like this are finding less market value imo, same with the hard plastics

There's truth in lies and lies in truth, would I lie to you???
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

will say what I see up are going for higher than what I expected. there are a ton up and completed listing in ebay alone, alway check the completed because people will put things up but that doesn't mean they sell... I can't believe someone paid around $450.00 for one of her outfits from 1959

There's truth in lies and lies in truth, would I lie to you???
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@bkb1942 wrote:

Wow, better get mine out. I haven’t looked at prices lately because I can’t find a box big enough. Yours is pretty. Enjoy her.

Let's not be too hasty to sell them. I was only inquiring if they were going down in market value... As for the box, you could take two boxes and join them to make a bigger box. Just make sure that they are bound together well.

Very nice Playpals. I like the dress (especially the colour!) on Patti, and Peter is looking dapper in those overalls!

@rosegoldwitch wrote:

it really depends on the doll, hopefully when you get yours you can try to do something about the discoloration. This is always prevalent in olls when they mix vinyl with plastic. All the old dolls like this are finding less market value imo, same with the hard plastics

Agreed about the dolls finding less value; I figured so. Would love to see figures or examples, though, if anyone has any.

As to the mismatch of face/body, I'm okay with it, and I think buyers expect it. I see many sellers using different lighting and uniforms to somewhat hide it, but it's always there. Just mentioning the discoloration in the ad as being a concomitant with these dolls and putting the doll in a dress that covers to up to the base of the neck should solve the issue (and obviously having some other pictures that show the discoloration, to show that you're not trying to hide it from the customer).

@rosegoldwitch wrote:

will say what I see up are going for higher than what I expected. there are a ton up and completed listing in ebay alone, alway check the completed because people will put things up but that doesn't mean they sell... I can't believe someone paid around $450.00 for one of her outfits from 1959​

Yes, I always make sure to check 'Sold items' under the 'Show only' category. As a frequent thrift store shopper once told me, "Asking [price] is not getting [price]!"

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Your Patti is pretty.  

I checked quick for some prices, you paid about right.  Some a little higher some a little lower.  The most important thing is if you're happy with her when she arrives.

If she had her original clothes/dress, of course they go for more.  And the original box brings the price up waaaay more.  

I remember there was a thread here, link is probably archived now, cause I can't bring it up.  The poster had a roomful of these cuties, every shape and form, lol, and showed how she restored them and fixed them up. 

Does anybody remember that thread?

Now you have to find her brother Peter, LOL!!!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@tiny_tailor wrote:

Your Patti is pretty.  

I checked quick for some prices, you paid about right.  Some a little higher some a little lower.  The most important thing is if you're happy with her when she arrives.

Thanks Smiley Embarassed And thanks for checking. I think that the price I paid was among the best deal in the past month or so on the Canadian (ebay.ca) site. You may have looked on the ebay.com site, which is for Americans. I find that a large percentage of Americans will not sell beyond border due to the hassle of shipping. I don't blame them, but it does mean that I have missed out on many deals, as those sellers seem to have the lower prices (even considering shipping and conversion of dollar value).

Search results (playpal, doll, ideal, patti):

ebay.ca: 36

ebay.com: 53

I contacted 4 or 5 sellers asking (very nicely) if they would consider shipping to Canada. Every one said, basically, 'No, sorry,' except one lady who said she would but didn't end up doing so. Apparently, she was drunk at the time and on vacation... *sigh*

@tiny_tailor wrote:

If she had her original clothes/dress, of course they go for more.  And the original box brings the price up waaaay more.  

I may end up buying her original clothing if I can. I do notice that Playpals which are dressed up nicely do fetch more money, even if the clothing is not at all original.

@tiny_tailor wrote:

I remember there was a thread here, link is probably archived now, cause I can't bring it up.  The poster had a roomful of these cuties, every shape and form, lol, and showed how she restored them and fixed them up. 

If anyone finds it, I'd be interested.

This reminds of a free to loan book that is on archive.org: A collector's guide to Ideal dolls (Ed. 1). So far it's been extremely informative. Though you'll probably find that is has been taken out, as I am the one it is being loaned to at the moment! grin

@tiny_tailor wrote:

Now you have to find her brother Peter, LOL!!!

I might be interested in a Penny doll sometime, but I think my doll quota has been filled for now. Well, that's what I try to tell myself. innocent

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

A nice book about the Playpals is "The Art of Patti Playpal".  Tells the history, how to clean them, string them, how to do their hair, etc. 

The different face molds also are in there.  VERY informative.  I don't think the book is that expensive anymore.  Maybe check Amazon for a used one?

The Ideal book is good also.  My downfall with the Ideal dolls are the Revlon Girls.  I need to start seriously thinking about thinning out the herd of those, LOL!!!

You have any Doll Shows in your area?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@tiny_tailor wrote:

A nice book about the Playpals is "The Art of Patti Playpal".  Tells the history, how to clean them, string them, how to do their hair, etc. 

The different face molds also are in there.  VERY informative.  I don't think the book is that expensive anymore.  Maybe check Amazon for a used one?

The Ideal book is good also.  My downfall with the Ideal dolls are the Revlon Girls.  I need to start seriously thinking about thinning out the herd of those, LOL!!!

You have any Doll Shows in your area?

I would love to get that book, but there only two of them on Ebay, and each would cost easily over $100 USD. when combined with shipping. And I don't want to use Amazon. Checked Etsy and nothing.

I've only just begun to be interested in collecting dolls. Several months ago I found a near mint condition Baby Crissy doll for $6 at a thrift store. A few weeks ago bought a near mint condition Patti Playpal type Canadian Reliable doll for $15.  A month ago I bought a Cricket doll, and I just recently bought a Playpal. That's my entire collection right now.  I know little about other dolls.

I'm hoping that my Patti will be the last doll I buy. zipper_mouth

Message 10 of 10
latest reply