cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm confused and Unfairness

I just realized something, I posted paw patrol sandals on ebay last month and it was removed because I used the word "velcro" in my description box, I didn't know it was a Trademark name and eBay could have notified me first and I would have removed it but I made another listing, just sold them now. Now what I just realized, I have two other listings, Angel porcelain doll been up for a long time and Frenzy barbie doll just listed last month, I used velcro in them too and they weren't removed, I changed it self fasteners now just in case, I don't understand why weren't they removed too? I'm glad they weren't but if velcro is not allowed to be used, shouldn't they have been removed too? It makes no sense, why was it not okay for my paw patrol sandals listing but it's okay for them? It's unfair and it should have been allowed to stay up too! 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It all depends on what the bots find.  It is now hook and loop tape.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

There is no law that says life has to be fair.   Just don't use Velcro any more.   Instead, use 'hook & loop fasteners.'

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

It all depends on what the bots find.  It is now hook and loop tape.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Okay, I know but I'm talking about about the dolls why were they allowed to stay up? That's what I need to know, you didn't answer my question or give me a helpful an helpful answer.......

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for answering my question and okay.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

There are nearly a billion listings on eBay on any given day. That means there's no way they can proactively police them all. So they depend on member reports and bots to find violations. Your sandals listing was found; the others weren't. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Oh, okay. Thank you. And how weren't they found? Couldn't they see or check too like the sandals? They're not hidden and visible for everyone to see, that's the point so people can look at them and see if they want the item or just to view it. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

The other listings weren't found because either 1) no one reported them or 2) eBay's bots simply didn't get around to scanning them before they ended. If they were reported it likely was by Velcro Industries. They own the Velcro name and are a quite active VERO member on eBay. That means that when they report a violation of their trademark, eBay is required to remove it.

And in response to your question "Couldn't they see or check too like the sandals?", you need to realize that eBay doesn't have employees who search for these things. They have automated bots. There is no way eBay could ever hire enough people to police a billion listings.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Oh, okay, I don't much about eBay, just buy or sell stuff on there, I'm still learning new things everyday. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@tamarar35 wrote:

Oh, okay, I don't much about eBay, just buy or sell stuff on there, I'm still learning new things everyday. 

I would gently suggest that if you're going to sell here it's important for you to read up on eBay's rules and accepted listing practices. Every time you have a listing removed it's a black mark against your selling account. If you get too many of those, your selling privileges can be revoked.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I'm sorry forgot the word Know*. And okay, thank you, I just read the vero rules and eBay should show that to people when they first become seller's, I've been selling on eBay for a long time and hasn't seen or been shown that and no where in does it say not to use velcro or other brand names, it should list them so sellers know what words not to use.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

"The other listings weren't found because either 1) no one reported them or 2) eBay's bots simply didn't get around to scanning them before they ended. "

It struck me as funny .... eBay's bots simply didn't get around to scanning them .... probably because they are scanning listings for "missing Item Specifics". For example: Fabric Type for Cotton; Theme for a handbag; Character for a floral wallet or blouse.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@tamarar35 

Maybe the dolls used real Velcro and the sandals didn't.

Have a great day.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Maybe but the angel porcelain doll I hand sewed the velcro or self fasteners on so I don't know if it was real velcro or not, I bought it at Walmart.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

It is up to the copyright owner to report it to eBay (although I think in some instances eBay maybe policing at least for fakes).  I do not believe eBay can enforce a VERO request on their own. There may some instances where there is another violation that eBay does enforce. I once put a question mark using a brand name on a piece of glass that was unsigned but I thought was that brand. eBay took it down because of the inference with a question  mark. If I had just called that brand even if it wasn't without the question mark it, probably would have been OK from an eBay rules perspective. Go Figure????

Message 15 of 15
latest reply