cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

35" / 36" Canadian Reliable Patty Playpal type 'Sue': how to tighten leg/arms/head?

I believe her to be such a type from perhaps '59-early '60's, but I'm not entirely sure...

I would like to know if/how her limbs pop off? I have not yet tried, as I don't want to crack her plastic if I do it the wrong way; I'm worried that the old plastic might crack if I do, but I am only assuming and being careful. I can hear something inside of her clanking around; perhaps this is a metal rod and doll stringing? She is not heavy for her size like some 3' dolls.

The limbs seem to have a stationary up/down movement as a typical Barbie doll would have. Pulling on the limbs will not expose her sockets.

Any idea how her limbs are fastened and if/how I can tighten them?

The doll in the picture is not my selfsame doll but is looks exactly  like her.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: 35" / 36" Canadian Reliable Patty Playpal type 'Sue': how to tighten leg/arms/head?

Hi andringli0

I don't know if her legs are strung or are just like Barbie legs as you describe.  

If they are, do what I I did to the legs of a Patti look-a-like - get some flat thick rubber bands.  GENTLY pull the leg out a little to see the socket, slip the band over the dolls leg onto the part that goes into the body.  You don't have to expose it too much, VERY little, and just work the rubber band around the leg joint, twisting the leg around and pushing gently in at the same time until it goes back to where it should be.  You just want to try and take up the slack in the socket.  

You may need 2, but one was enough on mine so she could stand by herself.

I've used those clear tiny Pony tail elastic bands to tighten up some Barbie arms and legs also. 

The key to anything you do to these dolls is EASY DOES IT - you don't want to crack the hard plastic body. 

I have to find my Patti book, I think it has instructions on how to fix them.

If you sell her, just explain she was fixed, or let the new buyer do it themselves.  If you are keeping her, they are FUN dolls to sew for!!! 

Let us know how you make out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: 35" / 36" Canadian Reliable Patty Playpal type 'Sue': how to tighten leg/arms/head?

Hi andringli0

I don't know if her legs are strung or are just like Barbie legs as you describe.  

If they are, do what I I did to the legs of a Patti look-a-like - get some flat thick rubber bands.  GENTLY pull the leg out a little to see the socket, slip the band over the dolls leg onto the part that goes into the body.  You don't have to expose it too much, VERY little, and just work the rubber band around the leg joint, twisting the leg around and pushing gently in at the same time until it goes back to where it should be.  You just want to try and take up the slack in the socket.  

You may need 2, but one was enough on mine so she could stand by herself.

I've used those clear tiny Pony tail elastic bands to tighten up some Barbie arms and legs also. 

The key to anything you do to these dolls is EASY DOES IT - you don't want to crack the hard plastic body. 

I have to find my Patti book, I think it has instructions on how to fix them.

If you sell her, just explain she was fixed, or let the new buyer do it themselves.  If you are keeping her, they are FUN dolls to sew for!!! 

Let us know how you make out.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you tiny_tailor for the informative reply!

From the looks of it, she connects as a Barbie would. I like the idea of using rubber bands between the joints. This post was more out of curiosity than necessity. I'm not too worried about it. She can stand by herself. It's her arms that don't stay where they are placed, nor do I even know if they're supposed to.

And you're right; no use taking any chances with a 60 year old doll. She's nice how she is, and trying to pop joints out could depreciate her value severely if they crack. I'll try the elastic band trick, as it seems like it would work.

As for sewing, I do have a machine and know how to use it, but it might take some time to learn how to sew patterns, and I'm not sure if I'm that dedicated to do it. I'll be on the lookout when I visit thrift shops for size 3T (I think this is her size) dresses.

Here is the dress I bought her on Ebay:

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@andringli0 wrote:

From the looks of it, she connects as a Barbie would. I like the idea of using rubber bands between the joints. This post was more out of curiosity than necessity. I'm not too worried about it. She can stand by herself. It's her arms that don't stay where they are placed, nor do I even know if they're supposed to.

And you're right; no use taking any chances with a 60 year old doll. She's nice how she is, and trying to pop joints out could depreciate her value severely if they crack. I'll try the elastic band trick, as it seems like it would work.

As for sewing, I do have a machine and know how to use it, but it might take some time to learn how to sew patterns, and I'm not sure if I'm that dedicated to do it. I'll be on the lookout when I visit thrift shops for size 3T (I think this is her size) dresses.

She is a pretty one. 

I would think that her arms were made to hold a pose when she was new. 

The elastic bands should work on her arms also.  From the book there looks to be enough on the inside of the arm to hold an elastic band, even though the Patti is strung.

She wears a size 3 dress, and her shoes are size 5 1/2-wide.

The Dollar store is great for cheap accessories that will fit her - socks, undies, purses, hats, etc.

And if you go crazy nutz like I do sometimes, there are Halloween costumes/accessories there that work out great for these size dolls.  Smiley Very HappySmiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@tiny_tailor wrote:

@andringli0 wrote:

She is a pretty one. 

I would think that her arms were made to hold a pose when she was new. 

The elastic bands should work on her arms also.  From the book there looks to be enough on the inside of the arm to hold an elastic band, even though the Patti is strung.

She wears a size 3 dress, and her shoes are size 5 1/2-wide.

The Dollar store is great for cheap accessories that will fit her - socks, undies, purses, hats, etc.

And if you go crazy nutz like I do sometimes, there are Halloween costumes/accessories there that work out great for these size dolls.  Smiley Very HappySmiley Wink

The doll in the above picture in the white dress is not mine; it's just a picture used by the seller to pose the dress I bought, though my new Playpal (in another of my posts) is much the same as her but with dark hair.

What sized underwear would she wear? Sorry to ask, but better to ask here than at the thrift store.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

LOL!!!

I would guess a 2 or a 3 also.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply