cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage Porcelain Dolls - How to determine type and value

Hello,

I have several porcelain dolls and I don't know how to determine the type and value.  These were my Mother's collection.  I hope this the correct group to ask these questions.

#1#1

#1#1#2#2#3#3#3#3#4#4#5 & #6#5 & #6Case with working lightCase with working light

1-Blonde hair, porcelain head, 21" tall, Girl, Name marked "Helen",  1880s?, eyes open/close when she sits up/lays down, clothes are stained

2-Black hair, porcelain head, 21" tall, Boy, porcelain hands and shoes, 1880s?, clothes in decent condition

3-Black hair, porcelain head, 15" tall, Girl, Name is "Agnes", 1880s?, cloths in decent condition

4-Blonde hair (real), bisque,21" tall,  Armaud Morsaelle?, mold 370 by Kesher?, mis matched limbs, clothes stained

5 and 6-Chinese, porcelain heads girl and boy 4" tall trad. clothes in decent condition

Display case with working light.

I hope the descriptions and photos are easy to match up.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

I looking to sell them, willing to make a deal for the entire family.  I don't know if there is a specific site to post them and how to establish a fair value.  Any help is appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Roger

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Hi, Roger, What a wonderful group of antique dolls! Your numbers 1, 2 and 3 are antique china head dolls which can be identified by their hairstyles.  Based on the names you've given for Helen and Agnes, is the name molded/painted on the front of their shoulder plates? #4 is an Armand Marseille 370 with open mouth showing teeth and sleep eyes, made in Germany.  The little Asian dolls are strung, all-bisque. I'll get back to you with more specific information but dolls 1-4 were all made circa 1900 and before. The little Asian dolls perhaps date a couple of decades later (1920's-'30s).

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hi,

Thank you very much for taking time to review the dolls and share your knowledge. 

I found the names listed from my Mother, I'll check to see if these are on the front shoulder plates and get back with you.  I look forward to any additional information you can share! =D

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Hi,

Sorry for my slow reply.  Here are some new pics and some notes from the previous owner.

Here are a few more pix of two of the dolls.  I was not able to check the torso of the dark haired doll, the clothes are tightly sewn on to the body.  The blonde headed doll does have Helen painted on the torso  Please share any additional details.

Many thanks,

beAn1ArhQi2MXXQeRPPkoQ.jpguR32qneJSOqAirP+RCEUJg.jpgAUYiMnMuRoKNLnLpfnnIsQ.jpgsQ8z%REHS4CHvmK28EkNgg.jpgbMNOI9wmRzeLGH4EPGpldA.jpgsc%Xb1O7TySYnjpdgqqMcw.jpg

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

The blonde china head doll is a "pet name" called Helen. There is a chip out of the shoulder plate in the back which will lower her value.  Her body looks to be antique cloth, probably filled with sawdust, probably original to her. She has china lower arms/hands and china molded black boots (those usually extend upward to a pudgy calf with a garter painted on it).  The dress is newer but appropriate in style. Looks like she has some underclothing that looks at least vintage. Any of the dolls with the notes that give info about who they belonged to, etc. means those dolls "have provenance",  which is a bonus in terms of price. I think the black hair china head doll in the red dress with blue velvet trim is a pet name "Agnes."  I'll write some more in a bit...haven't had my coffee. Using the search terms: "antique china head doll pet name Helen/Agnes" will give you an idea of their current market value. Include the height of the doll

Message 5 of 5
latest reply