cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Collection of Glassware

Hello everyone!  I was wondering if you could give some advice on selling something like this, regardless of the name or brand, I'm sure it is usually the same.

My grandmother had a large collection of Candlewick glassware.  Service for at least 8, plates, dinner and salad, various size glasses, serving dishes, the whole family shebang!  My mother acquired it and it sits in the family china cabinet.  I've looked at listings here and know it sells, but is it more likely to sell as small units than as a large complete set?  She has passed and my father's household needs clearing.

Thanks for any advice!  I am not a new seller, but have only sold a few pieces of pottery or glassware.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Large Collection of Glassware

do an eBay search for "candlewick glassware". then go to the left hand column and select "sold listings". on the sold items page, then sort by "priced highest". look at what combination or single item/s sell for , at the best price, then do the same 🙂
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Thank you, I know how to do this, I was just wondering if that is the accepted way to sell a large collection - piece it out?  And if so, lots of the same item, i.e. plates, or a a 4 piece setting or the like.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

In Candlewick, it depends on the pieces you have and how you put them together to determine what they are.  That is a very large pattern, I am assuming yours is clear glass and not decorated in any way.  If you could show a picture of the pieces, maybe some of us could tell you if there is any hard to find pieces in your collection, or how the pieces could go together.  In my area, dinner plates are not easy to find.  Sharon

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

after many many decades of experience, we would say the 'accepted way' is to do what you feel most comfortable with doing. selling your collection as a whole, or in sets, is attractive to some buyers too. as you can see on the "sold items" page, there is a variety of ways that work.
🙂 🙂
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Craig's list may be the way to go for a large collection.  Shipping could be a potential nightmare

due to the size of package.  Breakage is a big possibility unless you decide to break up the set

and ship in smaller quantities.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

It may have been a in use service set. Look at the plates by holding them up in the light to see if there are use marks.  This happens when a knife cuts food on the plate.  If so the value is lowered on those piece that have damage. Collectors want perfect pieces in general.  Some of the piece in the pattern can be very valuable depending on it's rarity. On eBay and at a Glass show, condition ranks high for top price.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

It would be more practical to sell in smaller lots, both because buyers are usually looking for certain pieces and because there is an art to packaging breakables for shipment. Too many breakable items in one box is asking for trouble, in my opinion.

bb

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

One other thing. If you don't list all at one time, then mention in your listing that you have other pieces available, in case someone may be looking for one or more of the other items. That way, they'll get the benefit of combined shipping.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thank you everyone!  I think I will put up individual pieces or lots.  I always said I wouldn't list this on ebay because of the risk of breakage, but I know a little more now about packaging!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply