cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Western Movie Stars

Bought some 8 X 10 prints of some old western movie stars.  First  Pic is Tom Mix.  Is that Tom Mix also in the second pic (different print).  No writing at bottom. Pic 3 is Hoot  Gibson and who? Pic 4 is Smiley Burnette.  Who is the Officer and sergeant?   Did the movie makers make prints like these ?MixMixWhoWhoHoot and whoHoot and whoCapt and sergeant ?Capt and sergeant ?e and how were they used?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Western Movie Stars

The names of the movies are on the photos, so all you really have to do is look them up in IMDb (the Internet Movie Database) and you'll find the complete cast lists. Googling the actors' names will let you see what they looked like.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Western Movie Stars

The names of the movies are on the photos, so all you really have to do is look them up in IMDb (the Internet Movie Database) and you'll find the complete cast lists. Googling the actors' names will let you see what they looked like.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Western Movie Stars

As for who that is with Hoot Gibson, or who the soliders are, you can find them with IMdb.  Go to the movie, see the entire cast, start doing Google image searches on the likely actors

The movies:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023502/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

and

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036662/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

These publicity stills were produced by the studios and distributed to newspapers as part of press kits, to anyone else who might promote the movies, and even to fans.  Sometimes they were autographed.  Occasionally they were also displayed at  movie theatres in poster light boxes, along with posters, to advertise upcoming movies.  They were used in any other way that might publicize the movies or the actors in them.

--

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Western Movie Stars

Sorry.  I honestly did not see your reply when I posted mine.  I get that a lot with the new boards.

--

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Western Movie Stars

@maxine*j wrote:

Sorry.  I honestly did not see your reply when I posted mine.  I get that a lot with the new boards.

I've done that with yours too, writing near-identically worded replies in cross-posts. Spooky. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Western Movie Stars

Thanks Argon and Maxine.  Didn't know this database existed. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Western Movie Stars

Get back to us if you don't have any luck with that method, as people may be able  to use other tricks. But it should work.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Western Movie Stars

I think the person in pic 2  is Tom Mix.  Do you agree? 

pic mix nos.jpg

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Western Movie Stars

Meant to also ask if you know what the numbers on the picture mean?

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Western Movie Stars

@exit55 wrote:

I think the person in pic 2  is Tom Mix.  Do you agree? 

I am hopelessly bad at comparing faces. I'm sure these people would know:

https://www.tommixmuseum.com/ 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Western Movie Stars

Why do you believe it is "tricky" to sell legitimate VHS, DVD, and Blu-Ray in the original packaging? I have done it for years with no trickiness whatsoever. Check this

Message 11 of 11
latest reply