cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage New Orleans painted poster

Hello I have a matted New Orleans” do you know what it means” painted poster inside the mat on the poster the bottom it has MJ Terrance 1984. However the painting is signed on the side looks like R Adams. I did the Q-tip test to make sure it was a painting and it is. I’m trying to find some information on this. Is it Reginald Adams painted poster? I just don’t know. any help would be appreciated. The size is 17 1/2“ x 16 1/2“. These are measurements with in the matting. It was attached to an old with Penny nails

IMG_2152.jpeg

IMG_2156.jpeg

IMG_2154.jpeg

IMG_2158.jpeg

IMG_2157.jpeg

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Vintage New Orleans painted poster

Adams is the artist and Terrence is the publisher of what looks to be a lithograph.  

Rita

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thankyou but it is actually painted

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I suspect that the lithograph was done with soluble pigments. I have no idea what solvent you used on your Q-tip, but it's not a reliable way to differentiate.

The printer's copyright notice indicates that this is a print, and a lithograph is most likely from the appearance. It might be hand colored. A painting would not have a printed copyright notice. Sorry.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Agree with that. Students were constantly painting over prints in different mediums to train their eye. I was at a college in S Cal in the glass arts and did a stained glass panel of "God Creating The Universe" after the original engraving by William Blake. My instructor asked me why I was wasting time in his class when I could be doing that for money! Maybe I'll find it on Google Lens but I don't have a pic of it. Point being Melda and Lace are correct.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

From your response- I can say hand painted by R Adams lithograph 1984 by m j Terrance.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Yes, if you know for certain that Adams painted it.  The point here is that someone else may have painted over a black-and-white print.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Yes maybe I should add R. Adams  not verified?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Is there a significance to the word "Armstrong"  ?  Maybe it references Louis Armstrong, a jazz musician from New Orleans?  ..might be worth noting.  

Rita

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

The arch is an entrance to Louis Armstrong Park.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Armstrong_Park_(New_Orleans)

The title of the print references a Louis Armstrong Song

Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFmUX1DK6HU

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Yes thankyou

Message 11 of 11
latest reply