cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS damage claims

Probably the wrong forum to address but I get good answers from this group.  Having problems with USPS and damage claims.   These claims have been filed on line thru their web site.    Has anyone been able to collect using this method.

I am the seller.  Sold plate  (2/9/24) for $5.99 plus $12.15 shipping.  Plate arrived broke.  Packed in box (not double) with inflated airbags.  Buyer sent pictures of broken plate laying in box with air bags around it.  I refunded the buyer’s payment.

On 2/13/24 I filed (on line) a claim with a picture of broken plate in box surrounded with air bags,.  Also, a screen shot of the listing that shows an unbroken pic of plate, auction ended, sold for $5.99.and description of item.  On 2/15/24 claim was denied per web site, No reason given.

The following week I received a hard copy letter (don’t know why they couldn’t email me.  Email address required when filing online) stating reason denied was “Insufficient Evidence of Value. Reference Domestic Mail Manual section 609.3.2. Letter then showed 609.3.2 

3.2 Proof of Value Either the mailer or the addressee must submit acceptable proof to establish the cost or value of the article at the time it was mailed. Proof of value should be submitted electronically or attached to the claim form under 1.5; otherwise, the claim cannot be processed. Other proof may be requested to help determine an accurate value. Examples are: a. A sales receipt, paid invoice or bill of sale, or statement of value from a reputable dealer. b. Paid repair bills; if the claim is for partial damage, estimates of repair costs or appraisals from a reputable dealer. Repair costs may not exceed the original purchase price. c. Receipt or invoice for the costs incurred to buy a surety bond required to reissue a lost item. d. Receipt or invoice of costs incurred for the reconstruction of nonnegotiable documents. e. A copy of a credit card statement or other documentation indicating the amount paid.

For Internet transactions conducted through a Web-based payment network that offers payment services through a stored value account, provide a computer printout of the online transaction identifying the purchaser and seller, price paid, date of transaction, description of item purchased, and assurance that the transaction status is completed. The printout must clearly identify the Web-based payment network provider through which the Internet transaction was conducted.

I have furnished a (1) pic of broken plate with air bags in box (2) screen shot of completed auction that shows $5.99 (3) screen shot of ebay’s email that sale was made, (4) details of transaction and (5) screen shot that payment was received. From these  screen shots,   sold value show multiple times. Date of transaction, receivement of payment  etc are shown, 

All have been submitted and appeal denied.  Have been to PO—no help- say I will need to bring item in,  Don’t want to pay to ship item back and then them deny claim.  Will be out of double shipping,  also  damage is not being disputed—only value,  what does the Post  master  know about value.   Have tried to call-impossible.  Did talk to “hot line”.  They said denied because it was only $5.99. 

What am I missing??nova.JPGnova bowl listing.JPGnova details (1).JPGnova details (2).JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: USPS damage claims

You need to supply USPS with a screenshot of the entire order details page to show value.

Air pillows are not sufficient packing material for dishes. Shipping that way the damage was practically guaranteed.

You have other breakables listed; I hope you've invested in bubble wrap and packing paper.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

USPS will not pay you for damage caused by lack of proper packaging.

Unless the box is damaged and USPS has noted the damage, USPS will not pay.

OR unless you can show where USPS damaged the item.

That item did not have a very good chance of arriving in 1 piece.

It should have been wrapped in a lot of bubble wrap.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I agree that using air bags alone is inadequate for protection so I am not surprised the plate broke.  It should have been triple wrapped in heavy bubble wrap and placed in a box within a box.  With the value being just $5.99 I guess I would say it wouldn't be worth my time and effort to argue with USPS.  At least the buyer didn't give negative feedback.  

Rita

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@exit55 

Now that you've received answers telling you of your error in packing, you should report your post and ask that the mods remove the picture showing the buyer's name and shipping address. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I fully agree that I did not pack correctly or adequate,  but that is not the question.  They are denying because I haven't provide Evidence of Value.  Not improper packing. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I did answer the proof of value question above @exit55 , hopefully you saw that.

I offered the packing advice so you wouldn't face the same situation with the next breakable you sell.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

The worst company is USPS. I lost my package twice  to China. I didn’t say how much the items inside were worth, but I wasted a lot of money on shipment fee.

The courier of USPS can't even recognize China and Chicago.😂I had something sent to China, and it was transferred around the United States. I didn’t know what happened and ended up in Chicago.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply