cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Problems - Destroying Packages

I've been having problems with the USPS destroying photographs.  The photographs, specifically cabinet cards and other antique photographs, have been packaged in flat bubble envelopes with up to four cardboard stiffeners.  The USPS likes to feed these packages through sorting machines where they get stuck, bent in half and ruined.  This happens even with added protection, labels requesting hand cancelling and "do not bend" labels.  The only solution appears to be sending the photographs in boxes.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Don't ship valuable photos like that anymore. Yes, pack them in boxes like they are something important. Sorry that you've learned that the hard way.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Would adding the "non-machinable mail surcharge of $0.30 " solve the problem
USPS rarely offers special services for free.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Cardboard stiffeners, if they are bendable at all, are not sufficient.  Photos must be securely sandwiched between two thick non-bendable pieces of cardboard that are larger than the photos, then inserted into a rigid mailer of some kind with the "do not bend" clearly written on all sides.  Bubble mailers are of little use.  Or use a rigid box.   I've never had the problem you describe and I've shipped many photos and other paper documents. 

Rita

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Use two layers of corrugated cardboard sheets at least 1 inch larger than the item, secure the item inside the cardboard sheets so it cannot move...tape them together........place the corrugated in a "rigid cardboard mailer" You'll need one slightly larger than the corrugated..........add the costs of the shipping materials plus your additional ebay added fees to your item cost  .........

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I'm a buyer. Not a seller.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Not a seller.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I buy.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Not applicable.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I don't ship.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Carboard is very risky. I've received several packages with cardboard stiffiners that were bent.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Well then, you need to ask seller put your purchase in a box, and yes it is applicable. Every time I sell a valuable photo it goes into a cardboard box well wrapped and I've never lost one of those through damage. Good luck.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@monk24 wrote:

I'm a buyer. Not a seller.

If you had included that essential information in your original post, replies would have been different.

Since you are a buyer receiving damaged merchandise, use eBay's Money Back Guarantee for refunds and take the packaging issue up with your sellers.

I am not sure why you posted, or what sort of help you want from us.  I'm not trying to be unfriendly, I am simply baffled.

-

Message 13 of 13
latest reply