cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Limited Edition "Rainbow Box" Art - 41/220 Artist ? Name

4.5x5.5" "Rainbow Box"4.5x5.5" "Rainbow Box"

Hello....nice little limited artwork....small 4.5 x 5.5"  Can't make out artist.  Oranai ?  Franai ?  Franci ? Oranci ?

Hoping someone has some insight.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

I'm intrigued by the piece, is there any indentation around the image where it meets the white paper? I can't see any and that's strange. This looks like a woodcut, or someone who's fairly practiced in lino cuts and is imitating the "crustiness" of wood. But there should be telltale signs of the paper being smooshed into the block. If the whole thing is super flat, no indention in the image or around the perimeter, it would seem to be a screen print process done with a lino/woodcut "pass" over the color background. 

I say all this because it will help you to narrow down the searches for media type. 

Also, all the ideas you had on the signature are the same I had. 

Please give as much detail as possible about the thickness, topography, and ink of the work you can discern. 

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

And, in this day and age, it might be just knocked off on an inkjet printer.  Er, excuse me, It might be a "Giclée Print".

-

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

A close up of the signature would help, but it could be Nancy.

Rita

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Thank you maeday76 for your expertise.

I would say no to the indentation around the image.

Running my fingers over the image I barely feel an topographical relief.

There's a mix of matte colors (Reds, blues, greens) and glossy colors (browns & yellows) on the image.

Paper stock thicker than regular copy paper but not really heavy at all.

I noticed the last letter of the artist's name has a minuscule (hard to see)  dot above it with a tail going to the right.  It's the same with the "i" in "Rainbow",  but that one is more pronounced.  So I do feel the last letter is indeed an "i".  I feel the only possibilities for the first letter is "O" or "F".

The 5th letter ( Fran - i )may not be an "a" ?  How about a "k" ?  Franki ?   There's an artist Jamie Franki but he seems to be a sculptor or coin engraver?

Thank you again !

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

What do you see when you look at it with a loupe? 

-

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

There are two upstrikes after what I think you believe is a "K", so it could be Francie.  I am seeing a "cy" but don't have a clear enough view of it.  

Rita

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

For any new readers this is a perfect example of why you should take crisp, in focus close ups of signatures for the board members to work with. The better your pics are, the better the responses will be. Take a few sets of photos like professional photogs do and then pick the best to submit.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

rainbow box.jpg        I am taking crisp images with a camera but cannot upload as it reads: "File Too Large".  The image that I can & did upload is from my iPhone and it is losing sharpness in the upload.  I've been trying to get sharper images with the camera but still the files are too large even when cropped.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Using a loupe, I don't see anything dramatically revealing.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Another from iPhone  - this one crisp - thank you all !  Much appreciated !rain bow 2.jpg

Another from iPhone  - this one crisp - thank you all !  Much appreciated !

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

We already know what the picture looks like. We don't need to see the black, the picture, all we need to see is the signature. I know for a fact that your iphone is capable of cropping that pencil sig. I'm not going to edit your photos for you. You need to learn sometime, might as well be now!

Having said that your last photo looks much better. but why am iI the only one who would like to see the close up of the actual signature? The last six digits would constitute a close up of the sig. What I was asking you was to isolate those six digits in a close up. Good luck. If you do that in the future we won't need to play 20 questions to get you an answer on your next query.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Please don't edit the photos and I'm so glad you told me to learn something. I'm sorry you're the only one who needed more details.

I'm not an expert. Others may not be experts. But obviously you are.  I'm sorry you had to play 20 questions.

You defined the problem and offer ZERO possible solutions.

It's Fathers Day and my children are waiting to cook me breakfast and give me gifts.  I hope your Father's Day is as warm as mine.   Be well.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Here is the lead post that explains how to get help on these boards: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Collectibles-Art/How-to-get-help-on-the-Collectibles-and-Arts-board/m-...

I feel that you having read that first you might have avoided any misunderstanding.

"and offer ZERO possible solutions."  Hmm...I gave you many solutions on how to provide the proper photos that would give you better results now and in the future.. Seemed like it would be helpful. And, who is editing your photos?

We're just getting going on the Father's day festivities here on the west coast and I open the day wishing a Happy Father's Day to ALL the fathers in the world. Fluffy pancakes and warm syrup for all!

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Sonoma is NOT the only one asking for more detail.  I asked twice for a close up of the signature, and gave 2 suggestions of possible names, but I didn't get any reply.  You can crop very easily with an iPhone - I do it all the time.  So isolating the signature is simple. 

Maxine asked about the loupe to see if there are small regular dots throughout which would indicate an offset print versus an original lithograph.

Happy Father's Day.

PS - I still think the name is Nancy despite the little dot which would be a stray mark.  

Rita

Message 15 of 23
latest reply