cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silver Snuff Box ?

Hello, I would like to know more about this Silver Snuff Box, It came from an old estate with many 19th century Items. It has an inner lid with holes. It is Gold inside and could be plated on top of the Silver. There is a mark inside, I can see a "B" inside of a square. I would appreciate any knowledge to help identify ? Thank you

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Silver Snuff Box ?

Given that inner lid / cover with perforations, I'd say it's a vinaigrette or possibly for smelling salts (rather than a snuff box). 

Vinaigrettes:

https://www.google.com/search?q=antique+silver+vinaigrette&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiV9v...

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Silver Snuff Box ?

Thats what I was thinking but I have never seen one like this. Thank you
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Silver Snuff Box ?

Look at the link in my post and you'll see several similar to yours, I think.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Silver Snuff Box ?

Thank you Maxine, You have been so helpful, I will be listing this item soon. Thanks Again, David
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Silver Snuff Box ?

When you list, take clear crisp close ups of the marks (and the other views too) ; they are unreadable in your current photos.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Silver Snuff Box ?

@davidk1960 wrote:
Thank you Maxine, You have been so helpful, I will be listing this item soon. Thanks Again, David

You're very welcome.   I wouldn't rush to list it, though.  It looks old and it looks interesting, and I think there's more to learn about it.  Post a photo or two of any marks you see here, per Sonoma's suggestion.  (Just hit reply to this or any other post here and put the pictures in this thread.)

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Silver Snuff Box ?

Maxine is right. This looks to be late 18th-early 19th century and from England with a gilt wash. The marks will tell you exactly.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Silver Snuff Box ?

A picture of the base would also be useful for completeness. Did any of the other items from the estate have this crest on it?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Silver Snuff Box ?

On the crest, that's the same shield you asked about a while back. Looks like this one never had an emblem/design inside it or it is very worn down.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply