cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Satsuma x2?

two pieces. Very different styles. How to identify the ages based on the styles? Or is it even feasible? The first piece is far more refined feels much more delicate in the hand then the second piece. The second piece is far more attractive in terms of the extent of hand painting. Each has a very minimal  mark.  The first "feels "older. Looks older visually.Bummer..Bummer..

Better.Better.

15050615788231582183452.jpg

1505061597560-1583395677.jpg

Mark on piece number one.Mark on piece number one.

2nd piece... more prolific.2nd piece... more prolific.

Very thick hand painting.Very thick hand painting.

1505062114788-1561089830.jpg

Mark on peace number 2.Mark on peace number 2.

Just for size and style comparison.Just for size and style comparison.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Satsuma x2?

There are so many different types of Satsuma, I did a search about a year ago that about made my eyes bleed.. I'll see if we can dig up any of the notes on Styles and handles. Hold on tight I'm sure there is someone here that can give the answer that you need. Best, V76
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Nice photos. Sorry forgot to include that!
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thanks!  yes I know, gaudy, something like "gordy", ...Satsuma out of Ireland? Scottish... so from what I understand Satsuma refers to the process. Before this I honestly thought all Satsuma  was Japanese.  So much information to wade through. Still trying to get an approximate production date ... I see now under groups there is a specific category for this type of thing. Perhaps I'll check it out. Thanks for the helpfuls everyone ! First badges! 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

So I visited gotheborgs as suggested in another post on Asian antique group, the marks are very simple, may just go unidentified.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

It is Japanese moriage Satsuma  vase.  Moriage is the very heavily applied enamels.  As far as Satsuma, the primary reason it is considered Satsuma is the material it is on - It is a faience type clay -  what Satsuma is made with.  It probably dates from the 1890s to the 1930s.  Looks like the top of one was broken off and the top edge was ground.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thank you so much I was wondering about the odd shape of the top. "Jug" just didn't feel right.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Don't see moriage (an applied cake like slip) but do see a lot of beautiful enameling.

A lot of moriage is misidentified on ebay.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thank you all for looking at my post! They're both beautiful in their own way, and I'm looking into the broken off Theory, I find it fascinating that someone would take the time to grind it down and keep the piece! I was going to list them, I actually think I'm going to keep them. I think they are collection starters! And as far as moriage goes, it is so interesting!
Message 9 of 9
latest reply