cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RENNE HUGHES WATERCOLOR/PASTEL?

Good day:

I bought this painting at a thrift shop. It is by the late Renne Hughes, who for awhile was commissioned as the state artist of Texas. He passed very young - I have found limited info on him and a few pictures of his works - but not the one I have. Mine is framed and is maybe about 18 by 23 inches - not sure just guessing. It is signed Renne Hughes. It is of an American Indian woman on a horse and in front of her laying on the horse is a lamb. The background is very simple - buttes and plateaus. It looks water color or pastel. It is simple and elegant. Any info would be most appreciated.  see some ofRenne Hughes work on ebay but not this particular work. Thanks for looking.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
5 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: RENNE HUGHES WATERCOLOR/PASTEL?

There's Wiki and AskArt info on him. There's also a painting (oil) on a live auction - with an estimate of $200-400.

Search using "texas painter renee hughes"

Your photo is pretty blurring - hard to tell what the medium is - everything I found mentions that he does oil painting. Where is the signature? I don't see it.

AskArt shows a sample of his sig.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

blurry is what I meant to say ...

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Based on this image, it looks like a watercolor or a print of a watercolor.

Be sure to look your gift horse in the mouth when receiving help.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

But that doesn't mean that's what you have. Yours may be a print. Have you looked at it through a loupe?

His work was reproduced as prints. There is currently a limited edition watercolor print on RL - take a look at it. There's a good image of his signature as well, so you have something to compare yours to.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Seconding what was said, you don't seem to know for sure it is an original. If you don't know for sure, it is not fair to bidders to list it as such and is a good way to get a neg and NAD.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

There's Wiki and AskArt info on him. There's also a painting (oil) on a live auction - with an estimate of $200-400.

Search using "texas painter renee hughes"

Your photo is pretty blurring - hard to tell what the medium is - everything I found mentions that he does oil painting. Where is the signature? I don't see it.

AskArt shows a sample of his sig.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

blurry is what I meant to say ...
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Based on this image, it looks like a watercolor or a print of a watercolor.

Be sure to look your gift horse in the mouth when receiving help.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

thank you

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

thank you -  know the pic is bad - so much glare. I have reduced it and maybe this will help. It is signed by the right front foot of the horse.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

thank you for your answer. I was just lucky enough to come across a site that auctioned off some of his works and listed them as watercolur drawing and watercolor gouche. Thanks for your help - I really appeciate it!

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Blurry - it is really a not very good pic but I cannot get it any better because of the glare. One again, you have been a great help. Thank you. Here is another blurry attemp at his sig. I take awful pics. Appreciate very much your input!

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

But that doesn't mean that's what you have. Yours may be a print. Have you looked at it through a loupe?

His work was reproduced as prints. There is currently a limited edition watercolor print on RL - take a look at it. There's a good image of his signature as well, so you have something to compare yours to.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Seconding what was said, you don't seem to know for sure it is an original. If you don't know for sure, it is not fair to bidders to list it as such and is a good way to get a neg and NAD.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

thank you

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Thank you  - I don't plan to put it up on e-bay. I am going to keep it - I bought it cuz I liked it. Unless I can identify everything and anything about a piece of art, glassware, or anything else, I never put it up on e-bay. That is my problem - I keep everything - LOL! Thanks again for your input - appreciate the time.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I have one of his paintings, and the signature is identical except mine also has the date.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

IT IS WATERCOLOR  RENNE WAS MY COUSIN

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

WATERCOLOR,RENNE WAS MY COUSIN.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply