cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pottery Free Form Plate

Hello - I was hoping someone could help me with this plate. I think it would be called a 'free form' plate. It has the initials RFG on it. Any thoughts on age, maker, etc? All ideas will be greatly appreciated. IMG_7050.JPGIMG_7060.JPGIMG_7061.JPGIMG_7049.JPG

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Pottery Free Form Plate

Well, I would suggest starting in MCM (Mid-Century Modern) and see what you find.  Sasha B was a big name and quite a few others, both commercial and amateur played in the field.  It was world-wide, so you have a big playing area.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thank you, gracieallen01, very much.  Is Free Form plate the correct term for this? 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I'm afraid that using the term 'free-form' will get you a whole variety of works in a wide range of styles - often depending on the potter, time of year and phase of the moon.

Here is the link to the  Pottery, Glass & Porcelain board.  This will help you much more than I can (thank you, smiling66).

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Pottery-Glass-Porcelain/bd-p/275

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@mrs_b*s_collectibles_and_more wrote:

... Is Free Form plate the correct term for this? 

I'm not sure "plate" is right, actually.  I see three little "feet" and I don't think of a plate as having feet.  Isn't this more like a small shallow dish / tray for candy or trinkets or change, or whatever?    I do think "free form" is okay, as it covers a multitude of shapes.

-

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Looks like either an example of or inspired by Sasha b houses

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Do you mean Sasha Brastoff?   It does like like a take-off on his work. 

I'm also thinking that, in addition to my earlier suggestions about it, it might also be an ashtray, if it's from that era.

-

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Surely those are the initials of the hobbyist who painted it?

Janet

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@janetpjohn_la wrote:

Surely those are the initials of the hobbyist who painted it?

Janet

Looks like it.  I don't think anyone is suggesting that it's by Brastoff, or by any other known, commercial ceramicist.  Just talking about "influences," so to speak, and the era when such pieces were popular.

-

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Maybe I shouldn't have said "painted", because I see lots of dots.  What do you think?

Janet

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@janetpjohn_la wrote:

Maybe I shouldn't have said "painted", because I see lots of dots.  What do you think?

Janet

You know, I do, too, now that you've led me to enlarging a portion of the cityscape for a good look.   And a transfer makes a lot more sense than a hobbyist with that much skill in painting such an image.

-

Message 11 of 11
latest reply