cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone cameras doctoring listing photos!

I have bought and sold collectible coins on eBay for more than 12 years and never encountered a problem like this.  Sellers of collectible are unwittingly photographing their coins and collectibles with smart phones with "Auto-Enhance" or "Deep Fusion" software that automatically removes blemishes and sharpens main features.  Thus, a $50.00 coin now doubles in value as nicks and scratches disappear!  Most sellers are completely unaware that this is happening.  This is a BIG and growing problem without a solution.  I am now returning coins to sellers that were listed and sold with enhanced photos.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

The eBay site itself offers enhancements to photos so it isn't always the camera.   

Rita

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Supposedly, Ebay has bots that detect photo enhancements and the listings with those doctored images are pushed down in the results found by shoppers. Not removed or tagged, just less "visible." It was a couple years ago I read about this, and I have no practical examples that bolster or refute the statement. The article saidthat Ebay prefers  

images that are unaltered... but come on...

Coins are an example of a category that altered photos should be prohibited from. 

(Please just not all categories! I use alterations to hide flaws in my backgrounds and to knock back shadows.) 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply