cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help to identify this antique wood table.

My cousin just gave me this table that was my grandmothers.  She said it was around 100 years old. Can anyone identify this unique piece for me. I went over it with Old English and is in very good condition for its age. It is 23 1/2" wide 31 3/4" long and almost 29" high.   Thank you!DSCN0006.JPGDSCN0005.JPGDSCN0001.JPGDSCN0004.JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Need help to identify this antique wood table.

I've always called that sort of thing tramp art.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I don't have any idea of identify, but that is gorgeous.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thank You!  I forgot to add on my post it is made from Mountain Laurel and some other kind of wood.  I will research Tramp Art.. I never heard of that... 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have also seen the terms "Adirondack" and "twig" used to describe this rustic style.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I bet that's worth a pretty penny. Luv it!

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Yes, those two terms are apt but I would add 19th century American Folk Art into the mix. The table, of course, looks great but... remember those Antiques Roadshow reruns with the  Keno brothers where they warn about altering the original surface? It can really make a difference in value, sometimes vastly reducing said value. I can see that all the OP did was to polish the original surface (if looking closely we can see the original alligatored surface) so,  here we are. I would not advise any further applications of Old English. Just dust it from here on. This comes from someone who sold an early American table for $40k that would have sold for $100K + had the previous owner not mucked with the surface.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will second what sonoma says about the furniture polish. The liquid "lemon oil" type is particularly harsh on original "hard" finishes. It really begins to dissolve the finish and it will permanently darken areas without any original surface. Also, imo it seems attract more dust and dirt than if no polish was used. And that slightly oily feel never seems to go away.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply