cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mid Century Metal Swan Mystery Mark

Cheers everyone. Would appreciate your thoughts on this vintage gold metal swan. Do you think it is a mashup? The makers mark is noted on the bottom metal in 2 places. Does anyone recognize the mark (shows copyright NY)? The swan has been in my family since the 60s being used as a soap dish but that just doesn’t seem right. Is the ceramic shell dish an ashtray or, perhaps a replacement? Appreciate your comments, thank youSwan1.jpgSwan1A.jpgSwan2.jpgswan3.jpg.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Can you tell us what the letters or characters are above the c New York? From here it looks like OAR.GL but you have it in hand so maybe can see it more clearly and/or post a photo of the second mark.  

Rita

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for the quick reply melda58. I've looked at both marks with my loop and tried all kinds of variations of letters and looked up some metal work copyrights, but its really tough because the marks are challenging to read. I've attached a photo of the other mark which the beginning looks a little clearer like "DAR-(space) L" or, D followed by a triangle. I appreciate your time and hope you are having a good day. Cheers.Swan4.jpg

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Here's one along the same lines as yours, same vintage, but obviously different maker.

https://seasideart.com/products/vintage-bronze-swan-sculpture-with-lg-clamshell

Rita

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thank you Rita.  I appreciate your research. I'll keep digging.  /Jane

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

You're welcome.  Good luck.

Rita

Message 6 of 6