cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've got another Mystery. Huge Lamp signed Made in Japan painted old cluster light sockets Leviton

I think these are peacocks and that it's clay with a wooden base. I know it's in rough shape, but the lady told me what they called it, but I cannot remember. Any ideas? the top is all brass. Anything that would help me search it out would be greatly appreciated! 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I've got another Mystery. Huge Lamp signed Made in Japan painted old cluster light sockets Leviton

Ah, plaster. That makes more sense. Thanks guys!!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

It looks like 1920s chinoiserie, from the photos it looks like it could be bronze clad then painted to in reference to cloisonne, or it could just be a composite material pressed over a base. Either the composite (or that under the cladding) has shrunk and produced cracks.

The figure is missing the characteristic fan tail of a peacock. With the long neck and bald head it looks like an ostrich spreading it's wings.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Japanese, cold painted plaster, circa 1920-30. Rewire it, a coat of paste wax on those metal bits (don't scrub that surface, just wax it). find an old socket cover for the missing one, just leave the plaster as is, find a nice shade or if you are selling it let the new owner buy the shade..

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Do you think it's called Champleve? That's the only thing I could find that was similar. Also, do you think it started out as an urn?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

champleve is enamel on metal without wires as cloissone has.  It undoubtedly started live as a vase not a lamp.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

OK. This does not have wires at all, so maybe Champleve? Also, not sure if it's bronze on the inside.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

It is not champleve.  It is not cloisonne.  It is neither type of enamel work.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Just pulled it apart and I think it's all clay or porcelain? Bottom of urn is also marked Made in Japan

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I'm sure it is plaster, as Sonomabarn said.  It looks like it.  It certainly isn't porcelain.   I really think it was identified, with his "Japanese, cold painted plaster, circa 1920-30."

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Ah, plaster. That makes more sense. Thanks guys!!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply