cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help ID what was this silver jar used for?

A Chinese antique dealer who sold pocket watches gave it to me.

In China, European silverware is sold by weight. This one is very light and cannot be sold for much, 1g sell about 1.5USD, so it was given to me.

But I don’t know what this thing was used for. If it’s a condiment bottle, the hole on it is too small, and nothing seems to be poured out.

thank you for your reply!

微信图片_20240303192320.jpg微信图片_20240303192329.jpg

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Initial thought was salt/pepper shaker, but due to that domed shape of the top I'm inclined to say it's a pounce pot. Used to sprinkle pounce (a powder) on top of wet ink.

Looks like you've got a bunch of makers marks under the rim. If you need help with the ID, post photos of those.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Initial thought was salt/pepper shaker, but due to that domed shape of the top I'm inclined to say it's a pounce pot. Used to sprinkle pounce (a powder) on top of wet ink.

Looks like you've got a bunch of makers marks under the rim. If you need help with the ID, post photos of those.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

thank you!

it made in Birmingham  England , maybe 1911 year

微信图片_20240303205221.png微信图片_20240303205336.jpg

Message 3 of 3
latest reply