cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloisonne Tongfa Vase / Tureen - How old and what is it's purpose?

I picked up this lidded vase, it has a Tongfa  sticker on the base.   There is oxidation on the serpent handles.

How old is it, what is it, and was is it worth.  ( I scoured the internet with no luck finding any information of this item)

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@rockrancher wrote:

I picked up this lidded vase, it has a Tongfa  sticker on the base.

To my eye, the label quite clearly says JINGFA (not Tongfa):

The largest Beijing cloisonné factory is the Beijing Enamel Factory, which produces pieces under the “JINGFA” label. Opened in 1956, this factory is best known for its colourful and intricate pieces. At this factory, not only do visitors have the opportunity to watch artisans create their pieces, they can also try their own hand at various parts of the process. 

http://asia.etbtravelnews.global/88159/beijing-cloisonne-a-modern-approach-to-an-ancient-tradition/

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@rockrancher wrote:

I picked up this lidded vase, it has a Tongfa  sticker on the base.

To my eye, the label quite clearly says JINGFA (not Tongfa):

The largest Beijing cloisonné factory is the Beijing Enamel Factory, which produces pieces under the “JINGFA” label. Opened in 1956, this factory is best known for its colourful and intricate pieces. At this factory, not only do visitors have the opportunity to watch artisans create their pieces, they can also try their own hand at various parts of the process. 

http://asia.etbtravelnews.global/88159/beijing-cloisonne-a-modern-approach-to-an-ancient-tradition/

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

You are correct Jingfa - Thanks for the info.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Many sold JINGFA items here for comparison (you could also try an active eBay search):

https://www.worthpoint.com/inventory/search?query=jingfa&searchByTitle=on

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thanks
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Argon is right.  It's JINGFA. 

As for its use, depending on its size (which I can't guess from your photo) it can be used to stash anything anyone cares to put in it, or it could be a sugar bowl, or... 

If you list it for sale, be sure to give its size, note that it is lidded and has figural handles.  Those things matter more than its use, which is better left to the imagination / needs of a buyer.  Smiley Happy

ENLARGEMENT OF STICKER ON OP's VASEENLARGEMENT OF STICKER ON OP's VASE

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thank you - The jar is 7.5" tall with lid x 8" diameter at rim.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I'm sorry but with two threads, I have to bail out.  It's too time-consuming to work back and forth between them,  duplicating my own and others' efforts.  And you didn't spell the maker's name right in the title of either of the two threads, adding to the problem.  Good luck with the item.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply