cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brass name tag

These came off a heavy leather collar, assumedly a cow collar. Anyone know how old these are and who made them. Thank you.

IMG_20220205_222116.jpg

IMG_20220205_222159~2.jpg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Brass name tag

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if the big cowbells they are wearing  are indicative of a specific region. Switzerland?

The panels look like they were designed to be screwed or nailed on to something.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Brass name tag

Where is the leather collar?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Brass name tag

Not a name tag.  Nor for a cow.  Google Appenzeller dog collar.

Your dog collar decorations are new, like the ones on this collar:

https://appenzeller-gurt.com/en/shop/appenzeller-hundehalsband-schmal/

And on this one:

https://www.bazarouchy.com/en/shop/Appenzell-collar-dog-measure/

They sell for abou $50, brand new, collar and all.  

=

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Brass name tag

It was so nasty, hanging in an old Dean's milk bed from an old delivery truck. It was not a normal dog collar either. I'd say, the ones people are showing me, are replicas made in China. They are similar, but not the same. The collar was huge and had a leather strap, assuming, for a bell, hanging from it. Everything was bradded in. Thank you all for your responses.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Brass name tag

@jaylynn2012 wrote:

It was so nasty, hanging in an old Dean's milk bed from an old delivery truck. It was not a normal dog collar either. I'd say, the ones people are showing me, are replicas made in China. They are similar, but not the same. The collar was huge and had a leather strap, assuming, for a bell, hanging from it. Everything was bradded in. Thank you all for your responses.

If you're talking about me, I showed you Appenzeller collars made in Switzerland, not Chinese knock-offs. 

I don't see any age on the decorations you took off the collar, but you have them in hand and obviously can see something that I cannot.

Good luck with your research!

=

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Brass name tag

So you, what, ruined it, threw it away and saved the brass bits? You might check in here first in the future so you don't destroy any other antiques. Nasty can be cleaned/restored. Throwing away is forever.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Brass name tag

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

So you, what, ruined it, threw it away and saved the brass bits? You might check in here first in the future so you don't destroy any other antiques. Nasty can be cleaned/restored. Throwing away is forever.

And if the leather were here to look at, someone might have been able to say whether or not it was old, what it was, whether its age and the age of the brass bits appear to be the same, etc.  As it is, based just on the brass bits, I have to stick with my opinion that they're newish and off an Appenzeller dog collar.

=

Message 8 of 8
latest reply