cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bookend I.D. help please

These aren't marked anywhere. They look like pirates by Paul Herzel, but they're not bronze. Can I list them as attributed to Herzel? After Herzel? I can't find any reference to his stuff ever being made in any way other than bronze clad. Are there any bookend people or Deco bronze people on here? The difference between a modern reproduction and something that may have been made from his actual molds is huge.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Bookend I.D. help please

@mrsboyink wrote:

Really, I'm trying to determine age to help approximate value in wondering about whether or not they're chalkware. I would think that would make them older than if they're ceramic (which was my original guess) or resin (which I'm sure they're not.) The paint does seem to be oil and there are evident brushmarks. I went to this sale hoping to get my hands on one of their Tang horses or Shawnee cookie jars, so I know these people collected well. Unfortunately, they're probably deceased, so I can't ask them about the pirates.

I guess I misunderstood your original question, which I thought was about whether or not to mention Herzel in your title /listing. 

Plaster of Paris (chalkware) is better than ceramic or plastic for bookends because it has more weight, and you can buy chalkware bookends to this day, or kits to make your own.  And there is reproduction "vintage" or "carnival chalkware" out there, too, sometimes listed as old, innocently or intentionlly.

But your set is older (c. 1930 - 1960) and there are collectors of old chalkware, although the bookends don't seem to be big sellers at the moment:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=chalkware+bookends&LH_Complete=1

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Yes, I was originally wondering about Herzel. Maybe his molds had been sold along. I know there are contemporary companiese that make repros of old bronzes, too. When you mentioned chalkware, I asked about that and wound up with a very lengthy explanation on the definition and history of plaster. I've looked at a lot of chalkware now, and though I still haven't held any, I'm pretty sure that's what they are. Thanks for the lead and the info!

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

When is Pirates of the Caribbean 6 coming out?
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

@mrsboyink wrote:
When is Pirates of the Caribbean 6 coming out?

I don't know, but you're in time for Talk Like a Pirate Day 2018:

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/fun/talk-like-a-pirate-day

Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 19
latest reply