cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Birds of a feather... Icelandic bird help.

bird1.jpgbird3.jpgbird2.jpg

I bought this wonderful 19th/18th century European candle box with a poly-chromed and carved bird on the sliding lid. Did my searching and came up with the example that Christie's sold in 1999 where they identify it as "Possibly Icelandic" 18th cent., measuring 8" x 15" (the exact size of mine).

I think both of these boxes were made by the same hand with one being used on a grueling daily basis and one being used sparingly and then packed into a trunk (dowry?) which explains the pristine condition. I can find no others. Two questions;: what is the bird? And https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-1471140?ldp_breadcrumb=back&intObjectID=1471140&from=salessummary&... are there other examples of these Icelandic candle boxes hidden on the internet?

Thanks for any help/

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

bird5.jpgbird4.jpg

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

The general profile / appearance and the spots on the tail make me think it might be a cuckoo.   But, of course, that's just my impression.

=

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

It is a genuinely wonderful piece, but I have nothing to offer beyond a heavy sigh of envy. 

=

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

@maxine*j  I also went to cuckoo or pigeon/dove... turtle dove, collared dove, mourning dove. The very round head, curved beak, long tail feathers. *IF* the artist was really trying to portray a northern European bird, and not a 'generic' bird 🇮🇸

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

@mendocinosocialclub wrote:

@maxine*j  I also went to cuckoo or pigeon/dove... turtle dove, collared dove, mourning dove. The very round head, curved beak, long tail feathers. *IF* the artist was really trying to portray a northern European bird, and not a 'generic' bird 🇮🇸

Could be a dove if, as you say, it's any particular bird at all.  I went with cuckooo because of the lenhth and shape of the tail in relation to the body and the pattern on the tail feathers.  Only the maker of this knows for sure.  🙂

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

Was hoping that the bird would show the way to more info as in "(Bird x was used on Icelandic carvings etc, etc...). Moving on, here are the Christie's example and my example seen side by side. The sizes are exact, the carved bits are near mirror images, the polychrome seen clearly on the side of mine is seen on the Christies  example. Mine is hardwood but not oak. Any thoughts on that? My first set of pics were overxposed in full sun and mine does have those 2 holes near the top.2bird8.jpg

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

Ive never seen a box like that, but since I do love the wood boxes, so I fell down a google rabbithole... came across this site just to share more boxes 😃. https://www.aaawt.com/html/antique_misc_boxes.html

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

You could work from the other direction, I suppose, and look at Icelandic tales about birds.  You know what the bird isn't (not a covid, water / shore bird, hummingbird, raptor, etc.) so the search might be manageable.   Maybe start with the Columbaves clade, which includes cuckoos (Cuculiformes) and pigeons (Columbiformes).

I notice that Chirstie's just left it at "a bird perched on a leafy bough."  Either they didn't call in the ornithological troops, or the troops wouldn't venture an identification.   🙂

Anyhow, yes, the similarities between the two boxes are many, and yours is nicer.

=

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

I can't help with it. There was something at the back of my mind with regard to the swirly-style decoration, but it turned out I was thinking of rosemåling, which is Norwegian (not Icelandic). So I basically have no clue about it.

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

I can't help with it. There was something at the back of my mind with regard to the swirly-style decoration, but it turned out I was thinking of rosemåling, which is Norwegian (not Icelandic). So I basically have no clue about it.

Strange I was thinking the Norwegian me self...

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

We have to remember, though, that it may not be Icelandic.  The Christie's lot is not identified definitely as such, only as "North European, possibly Icelandic," so we shouldn't go off on a wild Puffin chase.

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

You know what the bird isn't (not a covid

I don't think that's what you meant to type. 😉

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@maxine*j wrote:

You know what the bird isn't (not a covid

I don't think that's what you meant to type. 😉

Oh, heavens!  Let's shove an R in there -- corvid.

=

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

So that's where all the good boxes have gone...down the rabbithole.

Message 15 of 34
latest reply