Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone recognize this Signature? on Watercolor & pencil Italian Venice Gondolas

thanks for looking$_57.jpg$_57.jpg

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Anyone recognize this Signature? on Watercolor & pencil Italian Venice Gondolas

The line quality doesn't quite look like hand drawn ink, to me. A wrinkly watercolor can be flattened in a press, or mounted onto board to flatten.

I believe the color is watercolor and the opaque color is gouache or maybe even acrylic. It isn't very expertly painted, which may be a result of style or efficiency. This could easily be a mass produced litho printed on heavy paper with hand coloring done by a minimum wage worker.

My guess it that the original was an etching, it was reproduced (ie litho) and then hand colored. The signature over the printed signature may be the artist's way of indicated he did the coloring, idk?

Again, you would want to have a close examination to be sure.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Re: Anyone recognize this Signature? on Watercolor & pencil Italian Venice Gondolas

Yes that older anti-glare glass is a mid-century tragedy especially when it comes to getting photo's,something a tourist would buy and have framed when they returned, not valuable items but a curiosity as far as what the signer's name is (the original purpose of this post) No doubt mixed,the flowers are risen water paint (gouche) the ink absolutely without beaks in lines with some areas that can be felt and indentions seen from a broad edged pen,various shaded areas with pencil, i had a total of 3 by this (unreadable to us signature) artist,2 weren't as detailed,had more pencil than pen,we already sold one and it was one we had inspected out of the frame and really didn't deem necessary taking the others out,i bet they were all done by a street artist in Italy (early 70's),i have assumed it's ok to pose questions to the community regardless of value of the item,i get stuck on things that aren't valuable in the hope if i pose a question someone will recognize a signature or artst.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

I can tell you whom this artist tried to copy.

That would be Antonietta Brandies A view of Amalfi. See image attached.

As for who yours is I could not locate that signature anywhere, so probably a student practicing a favorite artist. 

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

incredible !! thanks !! again
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@kettlestrings.llc wrote:

I can tell you whom this artist tried to copy.

... so probably a student practicing a favorite artist

You found the location, and that's incredable, but I believe this is a public walkway in Amalfi open all year long.

You know, every drawing of the Leaning Tower of Pisa is going to look like a copy of (every other drawing of the same tower). There are just some tourist traps that every artist is going to try to depict from the same angle.

Besides the fact that they placed their stool in the exact same spot one day, I see little resemblance between the OPs work of art and the one by Brandies.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

almost seems like a different point in time many differences (palm like tree in this painting for one) no doubt frequently painted locations by many artist, memories for the tourists

Message 21 of 21
latest reply