cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Know What Type of Belt This Is? Any help appreciated!

Hi,

Anyone know what type of belt this is?  Very unique with leather strip and thick brass embellishments. This weighs just under 1 pound.  Measures about 32" in length.  

Any help with identifying this type of belt is very much appreciated!

IMG_5476.jpgIMG_5477.jpgIMG_5478.jpgIMG_5479.jpg

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Anyone Know What Type of Belt This Is? Any help appreciated!

I believe they are called 'Horse Brasses' or something like that.  Or, maybe just 'Brasses'.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Thanks so much!

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

I believe they are called 'Horse Brasses' or something like that.  Or, maybe just 'Brasses'.

Rather unusual appearance if horse brasses, though.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

I sort of gather that it depends on where they are from as to their design.  Must admit though, I've never had the personal interest to do research on them.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Yes to the horsey connection but not the traditional English horse brasses, This is a belt, maybe Thai or India.

Do a google search till you find one with those little circles on them.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Hmmm, thanks!  I'll start searching.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

They are not horse brasses. 

What they look like, to me, are belt buckles.  And, as Sonoma says, they appear to be South or Southeast Asian.  Somone mounted them all along one strip of leather to create an extra-fancy belt with the "S" closure.    

=

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

They are not horse brasses. 

What they look like, to me, are belt buckles.  And, as Sonoma says, they appear to be South or Southeast Asian.  Somone mounted them all along one strip of leather to create an extra-fancy belt with the "S" closure.    

I agree it is a belt, and I don't see a horse connection either.  But the metal parts all have very similar whorl patterns on them, so I think it was likely designed this way (not an ad hoc creation made from random belt buckles).

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

You might research Argentine antique gaucho belts. It might get you closer. Every culture wore belts.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

You might research Argentine antique gaucho belts. It might get you closer. Every culture wore belts.

Do you think so?  I'm not trying to just be contrary, but I really don't see this as a gaucho belt.  Not with that brasswork or that style of fastener.

=

=

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

I just said that to get them on the path away from traditional English brasses/ belts.

"It might get you closer. Every culture wore belts."

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Yes to the horsey connection but not the traditional English horse brasses, This is a belt, maybe Thai or India.

Do a google search till you find one with those little circles on them.

Well, as I mentioned, I've not done any in depth research on brasses, however, I do know that there are many horses around the world and the English aren't the only one that use, or decorate, with them.  Scots and Irish have their own symbols that they use (personally, I wouldn't refer to them as English - they might take offense).  Eastern European countries use such decorations - where did it start?  I don't know.  The buckle on it looks like a marriage, though I don't believe the leather usually encircles the horse completely.  Near as I can tell, it is a niche all of it's own and can span years of learning and fun.  Oh, and I didn't bring up 'English' in my original post.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:
though I don't believe the leather usually encircles the horse completely

Well, isn't that an excellent reason for ruling out an equine connection altogether? I didn't want to stress that point originally, as I don't know too much about horses. But I do know that traditional horse brasses don't look like this. And as far as I know, they're always fastened onto the top of the harness - they aren't buckles which dig into the horse's back. As a Scot I'd agree with Sonomabarn that horse brasses are traditionally associated with England! Anyway, I think we are all agreed that OP's belt is not of British or Irish origin.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Measures about 32" in length.

Is that as shown or unfasten and laid out

Message 15 of 23
latest reply