cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antique belt buckle Military?

I haven't been able to find anything on this belt buckle. Any help is appreciated. TYIA

IMG_8640.JPG

IMG_8641.JPG

IMG_8645.JPG

IMG_8647.JPG

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Message 9 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

does a magnet stick to the metal

HINC HVMILIBVS VENIA

HINC RETRIBVTO SVPERBIS

MISERICORDIAS DOMINI IN AETERNVM CANTABO AD MAJOREM DEI GLORIAM
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I suspect knowing what the words are will identify the piece, but I can't read them

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@md1919 wrote:

I suspect knowing what the words are will identify the piece, but I can't read them

Nor can I read enough to get me anywhere.  The word on the left (as you're looking at it) is completely obliterated.  The one on the right appears to be YEOMAN.  The one in the center appears to be  ?       CARRIC      ?  

So it appears to be from somewhere in the English-speaking world.  Military or civil, I can't say.  Not seeing enough clear heraldic elements to persue that line.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

P.S. For anyone else who wants to pursue it, I think we're looking here at part of a crest because of the torse, atop which is a demi-eagle (horizontal) displayed, to sinister.  Anyhow, those would be search terms to be getting along with, I believe.  Actually, the fact that the eagle is to sinister (that is, facing to the viewer's right) is less common than to dexter (facing to the viewer's left).

We need Argon!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

looks like iron

HINC HVMILIBVS VENIA

HINC RETRIBVTO SVPERBIS

MISERICORDIAS DOMINI IN AETERNVM CANTABO AD MAJOREM DEI GLORIAM
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

My apologies for not seeing this sooner! The back sticks to a magnet, the front doesn't.
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Yes, I've tried reading it also, trying to decipher with missing letters! I've googled everything I could come up with, and didn't get anything close! Thought it wouldn't hurt to ask on the community boards. Thank you for your help.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

We need Argon!

Argon is moving house but found time for this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayrshire_(Earl_of_Carrick%27s_Own)_Yeomanry

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Argon!  See, I knew you'd solve it. 

So it's a demi-lion winged, and I was completely off there.  I wonder why the beast being to sinister on OP's belt plate and to dexter on the crest you linked to.  But, you nailed it.

Ayr_Yeo_Badge.png

So get your moving done and get back here!

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Thank you very much! I never would have found that info! All of you do awesome work on these boards. Much appreciated.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for your help. I googled heraldry last night till my eyes rolled!! Never would have found it! Now to figure out if any value to list?
Message 12 of 12
latest reply