cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antique Japanese Sword

I have an old Japanese Sword. Is there anyone that can help to identify/translate the signature?  

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Antique Japanese Sword

@impact_thrift_shop 

You can give this a try.

If you write a post and want to remove it, not to worry. All you have to do is go to the post that you want to delete and at the top right hand corner of the post you will see a gray option with three dots, click on that and it gives you a few things that you can do, one of them is delete. Hit delete and your post is gone!

Hope this helps!

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

All good. Also, I found out the info on the Sword. Leaving it online and hoping for the best

It can be seen in Bungotakada Sumijiji (ice). This is a work by Moriji who was a resident of Bungotakada City in Oita Prefecture. If it was a successor, it would be a sword from the mid-Muromachi period around 1490.

豊後高田住盛次(冰?)にみえます。今の大分県の豊後高田市の住人だった盛次の作。盛次だったら室町中期、1490年頃の刀になります。
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@impact_thrift_shop 

This is great news! When I lived in Japan I use to sell antiques of all types. I used to sell swords occasionally. I could tell by the pictures that it was a  very old sword and it is a good quality sword. I just couldn't give you any details. If I still lived in Japan, I would have been able to get you info as I knew a sword guru where I lived. I used to close to Oita. Used to go there all the time to buy antiques. 

I agree with you on taking a chance and keep it listed. All it would take is a few people who know the artist that made it. If I had to guess you should easily be able to get at a minimum $2,000.00 for it, if not more.

I don't want you to worry you, but, once the bids close and sword is sold, I recommend that you send it by registered mail with insurance. It will cost more, but, you get a signature with delivery. There are a lot of new buyers here lately with low feedback scores that are buying expensive items and once received are filing item not as described cases and are sending back replacements that are  not the one that you sent. Some have even sent an empty box. Keep pictures and keep the receipt with the weight until your transaction is complete with no issues. The weight is something you want to be aware of, incase it gets sent back to you with an item that isn't yours. Insure it for what you sold it for. 

If you have bids on this sword, take a look at the buyers feedback numbers to see how many new buyers you may have.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 4
latest reply