cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antique Glass Paperweight: Experimental or Prototype Piece?

Hi all,

This beautiful antique glass paperweight has me a bit confused. From the incised inscription on base, it was designed by 'Christopher Dresser (British, 1834 - 1904)' manufactured by 'James Couper & Sons (circa, 1850 - 1922) Glassworks, Glasgow, Scotland' and possibly retailed by 'Liberty & Co.  British, 1875'.

From research, it appears Dresser started working in glass (Clutha) late in his career (circa, 1880s - 1900) and only produced vases & poring vessels in the medium. I can find no records of paperweights. Not only that, the incised inscription on this piece is also the only example I can find of its type. All others appear to be etched around a lotus flower as seen below in last image. 

Can you all please help me locate other examples of his weights? or do you all think this might be a one-off/experimental/prototype piece?

Size: 3 in.

Thank you all!

IMG_5341-001.jpgIMG_5339-001.jpgIMG_5340-001.jpgIMG_5342-001.jpgIMG_5344-001.jpgIMG_5347-001.jpgIMG_5346-001.jpgjhgdg001-001.jpg

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Antique Glass Paperweight: Experimental or Prototype Piece?

I am an original member of the Christopher Dresser Society and have contributed to several Dresser exhibitions and books.  I have never seen an example such as yours and highly doubt it's authenticity.

Dresser didn't produce anything for Couper's, he was just a designer and no designs of his use a spatter technique.  Moreover, the Couper's marks are acid etched not engraved.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thanks, MD! 

I thought something was off when comparing Dresser's authentic pieces of Clutha housed in collections and the piece in question. Always good to ask questions of questionable pieces. Thanks so much for your thoughts, most appreciated! Thank you!

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Message 4 of 4
latest reply