cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Age of painting & possible signature?

I bought this painting 40 yrs ago & would  like to sell it. Looks like evil instead of good?sorry can't rotatesorry can't rotatecornercornerpossible name to right?possible name to right?bottom of back of picbottom of back of picIMG_4063.JPG

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I'm not going to be of much help but I believe the images are the Virgin of Guadalupe, Our Lady of Porta Vaga, and the priest, St. Anthony of Padua.  (I'm not Catholic so I could be wrong on these.)  The man on horseback is the curious one.  There is nothing about him that is similar, the clothes are of centuries later, etc.  He's totally out of place with the others.

Perhaps someone will have more knowledge of this.  I will be interested to see if you find out more about it.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

@moinej29 

I am Catholic and grew up being able to throw a tennis ball and hit Tijuana. I have a small Guadalupe fetish. 

@pickapaper nailed the 1st three, and the last is St. Anthony (possibly Christopher) in Franciscan robes.  As to the way they look "evil," I think it's just a side effect of the artist's "naive" or archaic style.

(Naive or "outsider" painting is it's own genre, and in no way a judgement or dig at the painting or quality of the art.)

If they're at least 40yrs old, do you have any idea if or how much older than that this may be? Depending on where you are located, it might be an idea to have a Hispano-American art history professor or auction house that specializes in religious/Hispanic painting look at it. If it's very old, you might not want to list it on eBay. 

Where is the name you think you see?

As for my opinion, I love these images and would be thrilled to have them. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply