cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

25" gold gilt 7 candle candelabra help please

I just bought this at auction so I apologize for the dirt and candle wax. Any idea of where this was made or the age? It is magnetic, every piece of it. It is 25 in tall and 11 inches on the base. All thoughts are very welcome. Thank you!

20220725_140431.jpg

20220725_140509.jpg

20220725_140714.jpg

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

You might check c 1940/60 mid century Hollywood Regency listings for similar.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

A lot of similar (not identical) listings state that they were made in Italy. But since yours has no mark, I don't see that there is any easy way to confirm the country of origin in your case - and there doesn't seem much benefit in speculating.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

I have found a metal tag with made in Italy. The question I have now is what is the best way to get all the wax off? I wish I had a walk-in freezer and I could do it in there. Any suggestions?

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@terpntique wrote:

I have found a metal tag with made in Italy. The question I have now is what is the best way to get all the wax off? I wish I had a walk-in freezer and I could do it in there. Any suggestions?

Bob Vila suggests using boiling water which would not harm the metal as the melting point is obviously well above the boiling temperature of the water. This would allow the wax to slide right off.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-remove-candle-wax/#:~:text=Fortunately%2C%20it's%20also%20ea....

How to Remove Candle Wax from Metal

The Fix: Boiling Water. It’s easy to see why wax would drip onto the metal candlestick that holds the taper in place. Fortunately, it’s also easy to restore the metal to its pristine state. Here’s what to do: Boil of pot of water—enough water to completely submerge the candlestick—then after turning off the burner, place the candlestick into the pot. As the water gradually cools, the wax slides off the metal. Once the water has returned to room temperature, remove the candlestick, and wipe away any residual wax with a soft cloth. Note: Follow the same process to remove candle wax from thick glass objects.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Hi, thank you. I have read this by Bob Vila. I was a little concerned about the metal but as you say it's melting point is much higher than the boiling point. I am concerned about the gold paint coming off, is that something to worry about?

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@terpntique wrote:

Hi, thank you. I have read this by Bob Vila. I was a little concerned about the metal but as you say it's melting point is much higher than the boiling point. I am concerned about the gold paint coming off, is that something to worry about?

A few things:

• One, you said it was fully magnetic so it probably doesn't have ABS plastic or any other substance that would melt
  • Two, is that paint, or patina from the bronze aging naturally?
  • Three, you could try dipping an obscure leaf (maybe one that has a curled end) and see if it has ill effects
  • Four, you could just leave it and chock it up to age and use

Your choice obviously

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

It is gold gilt.  I am getting off what I can and going with #4.  Thanks!

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd avoid using mechanical means or any other chemical other than water. Good luck!

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Thanks

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

It can't be bronze if it's magnetic. I actually think there's a chance the gilding might be adversely affected by the boiling water treatment - as you say, though, OP can test a very small area to see what happens.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It can't be bronze if it's magnetic. I actually think there's a chance the gilding might be adversely affected by the boiling water treatment - as you say, though, OP can test a very small area to see what happens.

And aside from the effect on the gilt layer, there's the underlying iron to be considered. Obviously it won't melt, but exposed areas will rust, unless dried very promptly and carefully. All in all, I'm not sure dipping a gilt iron candelabra in boiling water is a particularly great idea (with all due respect to Bob Vila).

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd avoid using mechanical means or any other chemical other than water. Good luck!

I'd avoid the water, as well. You don't want to get iron wet if you can possibly help it.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

I say brush off the loose dirt and leave the deep cleaning to the buyer.  Maybe the buyer wants the "patina" of old candlewax and a bit of embedded dust.  If not, the buyer can clean it. 

-

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

I say brush off the loose dirt and leave the deep cleaning to the buyer. 

Good tactical advice, but it still leaves open the practical question of the best deep cleaning method for a gilt iron candelabra. I don't have any positive suggestions on that score, but I do feel that using the Bob Vila method on pieces like this would be asking for trouble. Zooming in, you can actually see the exposed iron:

iron 1.png

Message 15 of 20
latest reply