cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

17th/18th cent Chinese saucer.........Animal?

I'm thinking 17/18th cent Chinese (region?) but what is that animal, cat, horse...? Aprox 7 1/2 dia. Are those 4 symbols around the rim saying anything?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Creature on the plate may be the Qilin (mythical creature).  Sorry, I can't help with the symbols.

29378819--r19555--t1523544711--sa2eb--plate-with-qilin-design-hongzhi-zhengde-ming-dynasty-normal

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

those 4 characters along the rim could be the name of the place.

not old,

Put lime in the coconut and call me in the morning !
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

@pbshac wrote:

Creature on the plate may be the Qilin (mythical creature).  Sorry, I can't help with the symbols.

29378819--r19555--t1523544711--sa2eb--plate-with-qilin-design-hongzhi-zhengde-ming-dynasty-normal

Interesting... it seems to be a crude copy of that very design, coupled with a bad attempt to replicate the Chinese characters.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Never mind.   Scanned too quickly and missed that it's already been ID'ed as a Qilin.  Carry on.    Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Is old. This could be/is a copy  but it's a 17th/18th century copy.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

@argon38 wrote:

Interesting... it seems to be a crude copy of that very design, coupled with a bad attempt to replicate the Chinese characters.

Yes, I'd say OP's plate is one of those new-made-to-look-old things coming out of  China.

I can't read Chinese, but I was puzzled by the characters on the rim even before pbshac posted the other plate - they simply don't look like real Chinese characters. So I think the plate was copied by someone who didn't know Chinese, which would obviously rule out China as the country of origin. But then, a Western forger in modern times would surely make the basic effort to copy the characters properly. Were Chinese designs maybe faked in the West in the early days, when they were just becoming popular?

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@maxine*j wrote:

@argon38 wrote:

Yes, I'd say OP's plate is one of those new-made-to-look-old things coming out of  China.

I can't read Chinese, but I was puzzled by the characters on the rim even before pbshac posted the other plate - they simply don't look like real Chinese characters. So I think the plate was copied by someone who didn't know Chinese, which would obviously rule out China as the country of origin. But then, a Western forger in modern times would surely make the basic effort to copy the characters properly. Were Chinese designs maybe faked in the West in the early days, when they were just becoming popular?

That's very weird, because I deleted that post -- or thought I did -- because the more I looked at it, the older it looked to me.  I yhought I deleted everything except the comment about the Qilin.  Anyhow, I withdraw the comment.  Beats me.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Thia plate has so much wear and on the reverse  there is a fair amount of kiln debris that is noticible on early pieces. To my eye, the one that was posted looks like a repop. Where did it come from?

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

This site has many early examples of Chinese porcelain. Lots  of good reading om the early stuff, but if you scroll to the bottom there is a tea bowl slide show where you can see many examples of the bases and interiors of these early Ming bowls. Rust, kiln debris, sloppy technique...  Looks a lot like the base on my saucer.  And, if that old, might there have been slight differences in the written language?

http://koh-antique.net/bandw/bandw1b.html

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Agree... 

urs looks old.

the other doesn’t.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

This site has many early examples of Chinese porcelain. Lots  of good reading om the early stuff, but if you scroll to the bottom there is a tea bowl slide show where you can see many examples of the bases and interiors of these early Ming bowls. Rust, kiln debris, sloppy technique...  Looks a lot like the base on my saucer.  And, if that old, might there have been slight differences in the written language?

http://koh-antique.net/bandw/bandw1b.html

U might want to take a look at this auction link

https://www.rm-auctions.com/cn/asian-arts-october-2017/8739-a-chinese-blue-and-white-bowl-and-a-qili...?

U will see there a very similar plate, in shape, and imperfections...

There r plenty auction sites with pictures online that might help u.

dont know what they sell for but might b worth sending them pics

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Thanks! Your comment led me to this site https://www.trocadero.com/stores/carvinpr/items/1133421/Ming-Dish-Qilin  which shows my saucer as a product of the early Ming period (circa 1368+). No price but I'll keep looking.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply