cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay unresponsive to fraudulent coin-listing practices

I have been buying and selling on eBay for more than a quarter century, really, check Coin-Jock's feedback, and for the past six months I have been diligently reporting listings, especially in the Lincoln cents categories, that I "suspect," but in fact am convinced, are fraudulent to no avail.

Specifically, the listings I report are coins that are purported to have an uncirculated PCGS numeric grade, including some that supposedly are CAC certified. However, it's obvious from the photos posted in these listings that the coins are not in a PCGS slab, nor are the coins even close to the grade stated in the listings' headings or titles.

For many years, eBay has had a pretty clear policy of allowing only numeric grades in the headings or descriptions for slabbed coin, but it's failing to enforce this policy despite the fact that I have consistently clicked "report this item" and described my concerns. One can only assume that eBay's failure to halt, if not at least try and minimize, this deceiving practice, the company is tacitly endorsing it, victimizing, both honest eBay sellers and potential buyers, while allowing the perpetrator' numbers and listings to steadily rise.

Personally, I am about fed up with this, and am calling on other eBayers, specifically, coin- and currency-selling eBayers, to be vigilant and report their own findings and consider joining me (coin-jock) in creating an alliance or association to hold eBay accountable. Message me through eBay.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

What about potential customers...Can't we be looking out for them by trying to steer them away from deceiving--if not down right dishonest--sellers, who taint eBay and the coin collecting hobby and industry as a whole.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

You should NOT be posting the SAME thoughts on DIFFERENT places on the Forum.

You SELL coins

You ARE a competitor

You WILL be ignored...forever and ever and ever as you could EASILY just be reporting as a 'competitor trying to get rid of the competition'

Therefore, worry about you and yourself and QUIT worrying about 'other' sellers. 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

What about potential customers...Can't we be looking out for them by trying to steer them away from deceiving--if not down right dishonest--sellers, who taint eBay and the coin collecting hobby and industry as a whole.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

you'd have better luck forcing a fast food chain restaurant to change their signature burger... 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@coin-jock wrote:

@coin-jock the problem is, nobody reporting is the hired 'expert' and could just be 'reporting' for either shear "vindictiveness" or "competitor trying to get rid of another".

The 'report listing' is for clear ebay violations only (and even then, there are too many 'reported' for anyone to look at most of them) and not for 'opinions'. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I recently discovered a seller selling counterfeit US Silver Dollars. Dozens a day. Seller has constant inventory over 1,000 silver dollars. I've reported it recently but from what I'm reading in this group, It's a waste of time. Like you, all I desire to see is the buyer protected. I don't sell silver dollars and I certainly would never buy any on ebay now that I see that it's acceptable to list counterfeit coins. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@supremeknight wrote:

... I certainly would never buy any on ebay now that I see that it's acceptable to list counterfeit coins. 

whatever you buy, it's your responsibility to educate yourself... people get ripped off because they don't know what they're looking at...

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Yess! And well said...!  (Heron will add Caveat Emptor for the Latin folks).

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@elheron-grande wrote:

Yess! And well said...!  (Heron will add Caveat Emptor for the Latin folks).

i debated if i should use that phrase... i decided it would be in a highly elevated position in relation to the intended subject's electrochemical process containment vessel...

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Roger that message and understood 100%...!

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

".....highly elevated position in relation to the intended subject's electrochemical process containment vessel..."

Yes! *smedley*

That's poetry to my eyes!🙃

(Hope it's not copyrighted)

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I too have reported an obviously altered 1877 Indian Cent.  The listing continues.  Someone is going to pay a lot of money for something that is now worth only a few cents (because of the alteration).  It is too bad as the coin was probably worth something to a collector if it had not been altered.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Well someone may be out 2,150.00 for that altered Indian Cent.  The winning bidder has a zero rating so maybe someone aware of the nature of the coin created an account just to disrupt the fraud!?  If the coin is relisted I will have some idea of what may have occurred.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Coin jock THEIRS MORE FAKE LISTING THEN REAL ONES YOUR ONLY CONCERN IS GRADED COINS ID, SAY DID YOU CONTACT PCGS DONT YOU KNOW THAT GRADEING COMPANY COINS IS A SCAM TO THE ONLY SALES OF COINS ARE GOLD SILVER PLUS COLLECTING TO FILL YOUR BOOKS THE PRICE OF MOST OF THE COINS ON EBAY ARE RIDICULOUS then again ware else could you sell A COIN STORE WILL PAY NOTHING IF HE COULD COINS ARE FADEING BECAUSE OF THE PRICE SOME NEW NO EXPERIENCE SELLERS SHOULD NOT BE ON EBAY EATHER SHOULD NEGATIVE FEEDBACK ALL THE GRADED COINS I, GOT FROM COIN STORES AROUND PHILADELPHIA ARE $5 FOR PCGS  NGC ETC THE MARKET IS NOT THEIR 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I am a collector, not a dealer...I have been collecting for more than 60 years and have amassed a lot of coins that others could find more valuable than myself.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply