cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay unresponsive to fraudulent coin-listing practices

I have been buying and selling on eBay for more than a quarter century, really, check Coin-Jock's feedback, and for the past six months I have been diligently reporting listings, especially in the Lincoln cents categories, that I "suspect," but in fact am convinced, are fraudulent to no avail.

Specifically, the listings I report are coins that are purported to have an uncirculated PCGS numeric grade, including some that supposedly are CAC certified. However, it's obvious from the photos posted in these listings that the coins are not in a PCGS slab, nor are the coins even close to the grade stated in the listings' headings or titles.

For many years, eBay has had a pretty clear policy of allowing only numeric grades in the headings or descriptions for slabbed coin, but it's failing to enforce this policy despite the fact that I have consistently clicked "report this item" and described my concerns. One can only assume that eBay's failure to halt, if not at least try and minimize, this deceiving practice, the company is tacitly endorsing it, victimizing, both honest eBay sellers and potential buyers, while allowing the perpetrator' numbers and listings to steadily rise.

Personally, I am about fed up with this, and am calling on other eBayers, specifically, coin- and currency-selling eBayers, to be vigilant and report their own findings and consider joining me (coin-jock) in creating an alliance or association to hold eBay accountable. Message me through eBay.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: eBay unresponsive to fraudulent coin-listing practices

The problem is that eBay is now largely relyin on AI to make determinations about reports.  Calling eBay Customer Service is also likely to get you nowhere unless you get lucky and are connected to a person in a US call center.

I devoted hours of my time daily playing whack-a-mole with sellers at Christmas time that were selling fake 2023 American Silver Eagles for $25 each with free shipping.  The sellers took the same pics of the coins that were used to advertise them on the Chinese websites and then made listings.  As fast as one account got taken down, they created 3 more in the same geographic area as the first and I don't think they ever really did much to actually stop the jerks because after about 3 days, the same accounts that they took down were put back up after they appealed and then had to be taken down again.  It is ridiculous.

eBay needs to realize that relying on AI does not identify things like visible grades in photos from unapproved grading companies, or other things that people do to try to game the system.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

That is the wrong attitude.  I have had numerous customers that have had bad experiences with sellers on here and it makes them leery to buy anything on the site.  We all have a duty to keep eBay safe because if we have a seller that is breaking the rules and selling fraudulent items or selling "graded" coins from unapproved companies and that person later finds out they were scammed, it sets us all up to lose customers.  

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

You are absolutely correct.  If a customer has a bad experience on eBay, they don't think so much of that seller, but the think of their experience on eBay.  I look through listings all the time and I have no issues reporting bad sellers that are selling fake stuff or trying to find ways to game the system with their coins.

I also have no issue with taking the time to message a seller that appears to be a novice and inquiring as to what makes their well circulated 1942 Lincoln Cent worth $200.00.  The usual response is that "it is an error and has no mint mark and a friend of mine told me it is rare."  This presents a great opportunity to educate someone and give them some great online resources so they can learn a bit about the items they are selling.  Almost everyone appreciates someone taking the time to inquire and then politely helping them.  Once in a while you will find someone that still thinks they are the expert and that very common, heavily circulated coin is worth a fortune and for those people you just have to let them live in their own little world.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

They should be clear violations.  He has a valid point, and I don't think that there are too many people being petty and trying to take down the "competition."  Personally, I don't look at other sellers as direct competition because it is our sheet numbers that drive people to shop for coins on eBay and I realize that I won''t have what someone wants everytime they are on here, but I will some of the times.  If I was the lone seller on here their would be very few people checking ebay for coins and banknotes so I am happy the other sellers are here as long as they are abiding by the rules and taking care of their customers.  When others don't treat their customers right it does have an impact on all of us because these customers become less likely to come back to eBay again, especially if they are a newbie.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

It is not acceptable to list counterfeit coins.  The best way to report these normally is to pick up the phone and talk to an eBay representative directly.  You need to have a true knowledge what makes them fraudulent though or it will be a waste of time.  

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

There is a growing problem with fraudulent listings here on eBay, which does not appear to be policing its listings, enforcing its rules or even care...Here is the most recent and egregious example that I just stumbled upon today: https://www.ebay.com/itm/315365069030.

This is a listing for a purported PCGS slabbed and graded MS-66 RD 1946-D Lincoln cent...It is obvious that the coin does not even approach an uncirculated condition. However, what is most disconcerting is the fact that  its a counterfeit slab...the certification no. 7835178 is for a 2000-year-minted British half-sovereign.

Now if that is not a fraudulent listing I don't no what would be...

Message 21 of 21
latest reply